Activated Charcoal

EventingMum

Visit site
From what I've read my horse could possibly benefit from being fed activated charcoal however I'm struggling to find a definitive answer on feeding it. Some websites infer it should be fed constantly others, like Feedmark, say it should only be fed for a week at a time. Can anybody help? I understand it shouldn't be fed when the horse is on medication but what about supplements and balancers, does it stop them from being effective too? My intial feeling is if it inhibits the uptake of medicines then it may well do the same for other things hence the reason for only feeding for short periods however other testimonials seem to imply long term use, help!

Regandal

Visit site
Are you able to do 2 feeds a day? Charcoal in only one of them. Small ones if necessary. I suppose it depends on how long it blocks any uptake.

Shay

Visit site
Activated charcoal will bind to pretty much anything and allow it to be excreted. About the only things it does not bind to is inorganic minerals, strong acids and bases. Most commonly things like Lithium, sodium, iron and lead. It doesn't bind well to alcohol either - but I'm presuming the horse isn't drunk! Pretty much anything else it will bind to and render unusable by the body.

You don't say why you feel activated charcoal would assist but I would presume that pretty much any supplement, and indeed some of the feed value of the feed, will be negated. It only binds to material in the GI tract though - you can't use it to remove traces of a restricted substance from the bloodstream for instance (not that I am suggesting that is your intent!).

Might be worth asking your vet's advice?

EventingMum

Visit site
Thank you, I'm looking at it as he always has a dirty backside and tail, droppings can be a little loose but even normal ones are accompanied by some liquid. I've tried Protexin and other pre/probiotics as well as other supplements - haylage balancer, the Global Herbs one for diarrhoea. He's happy and healthy in himself worm counts clear and wormed for tapeworm encysted redworm, no change summer to winter or with changing feed and previous owners investigated for ulcers and he scoped clear.

I just wish I wasn't constantly washing his back end, he's a handsome boy but this does nothing to enhance his good looks!

Po Knee

Visit site
Please have a google of Gas Ease. I left a review on their website as I was so pleased with the results, and I fed it every day to keep my mare comfortable - she was very sensitive and got gassy very easily. Just feed it the opposite end of the day to any other supplements to make sure it does not negate their benefits.

My mare was grey, so I can appreciate your pain at the amount of time you probably spend at his rear end!!

Frumpoon

Visit site
Activated charcoal will bind to pretty much anything and allow it to be excreted. About the only things it does not bind to is inorganic minerals, strong acids and bases. Most commonly things like Lithium, sodium, iron and lead. It doesn't bind well to alcohol either - but I'm presuming the horse isn't drunk! Pretty much anything else it will bind to and render unusable by the body.

You don't say why you feel activated charcoal would assist but I would presume that pretty much any supplement, and indeed some of the feed value of the feed, will be negated. It only binds to material in the GI tract though - you can't use it to remove traces of a restricted substance from the bloodstream for instance (not that I am suggesting that is your intent!).

Might be worth asking your vet's advice?

Ooooh shay, do you have a sciencey background? I do but it runs out at a level....

Charcoal is being marketed as being good for acid type conditions, ulcers and sore intestines and so on, it's a bit vague

I wondered whether it would survive the equine stomach conditions to be of use in the intestinal tract and how it would compare to proton pump inhibitors for example?

Ellevis

Visit site
Ours was the same as your boy had him scoped for ulcers in December and came back clear, he's been on happy tummy activated charcoal since and it's literally fixed him it's mad! Normal droppings and where his bum was once getting matted with poo (sorry!) he's 100% clean every day - I couldn't recommend more! He's fed a small scoop in breakfast and tea

ashlingm

Visit site
Is your horse on haylage by any chance? I've known a few horses that get really dirty bums (and dripple liquid down their legs!) from eating haylage. It's just too rich for them - but they cope much better on hay.

Shay

Visit site
This has definitely peaked my curiosity (and yes Frumpoon my first masters was a science one.) I have a cob who for years was on dry bran for the same symptoms - I suspect activated charcoal hadn't been identified then. The amount is so small it won't be able to bind to anything much - especially not with the volume of equine gut contents. But it clearly does make a difference. I wonder if there is a micro-mineral or heavy metal present in your grass but in such a small amount that the charcoal can mop it up - or if it has more to do with it's texture. It would be nice to see some more research! And always great to learn new things from others.

EventingMum

Visit site
Yes he is on haylage and I suspect that could be an issue. It's fairly low protein and very dry as haylage goes. Sadly swapping to hay isn't really an option as the whole yard is on haylage and storage for hay would be a problem however it's something I may have to look at.