Activon manuka honey to treat leg wound...

crackersluvrat

Visit site
Hi

I look after a polo pony who got injured in the field, either from kicking the post and rail down or the other pony kicking her. It resulted in a puncture wound just below the hock, it was x-rayed and treated by the vet who has now recommended we use manuka honey to aid healing.

I have some potentially stupid questions?!
1. Do I just apply a thick-ish layer directly onto the wound?
2. Can I leave it uncovered?
3. As it is summer and currently hot (yay!!) will it attract flys/wasps?

Thank you in advance of your help!

RolyPolyPony

Visit site
I used to ride a horse who had a fairly nasty bite to her lip (we think it was her field mate who did it) We put manuka honey on it and it healed within the week (very suprised as it was quite a deep wound. This was last summer. We applied a fairly think layer and obviously left it uncovered. She was kept in for around 2 hours after it was put on then put back in field. I'm not sure if it attracted flies or not but there were no more problems with it and healed up lovely.

minigal

Visit site
Hi

I look after a polo pony who got injured in the field, either from kicking the post and rail down or the other pony kicking her. It resulted in a puncture wound just below the hock, it was x-rayed and treated by the vet who has now recommended we use manuka honey to aid healing.

I have some potentially stupid questions?!
1. Do I just apply a thick-ish layer directly onto the wound?
2. Can I leave it uncovered?
3. As it is summer and currently hot (yay!!) will it attract flys/wasps?

Thank you in advance of your help!

1. Yes
2. No because of
3. Yes it will.

Also you don't want to be leaving a puncture hole uncovered anyway I wouldn't have thought. I treated my boys mud fever with it and just used gauze and some vetwrap overnight.

crackersluvrat

Visit site
The vet said the wound no longer required any bandaging or covering so it's just if I should because of putting the honey on it. The puncture is not really deep anymore as some internal healing has occured it is just a case of getting the surface to heal over now. Thanks.

fatpiggy

Visit site
My girl got booted and opened up a nasty deep slice right across the inside surface of the hock joint. I put aloe vera on it by day and manuka honey at night when she was in because of the fly problem. It healed very nicely and noticeably quickly. I was suitably impressed!

Pipkin

Visit site
one of my girls got a hind leg caught in fencing two years ago, totally ripped her hock to shreds, i put manuka honey on a poultice pad and then bandaged over her hock, she has very very little scarring and the hair that has grown back has come back her golden colour instead black like other scars she has which werent healed with ointments :)

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
My mare has been soooo accident prone this year you wouldn't believe! While I was in America for five weeks she stayed with my sister as she had just had a collateral ligament op.
We think because she was heavily bandaged she had grazed her hock getting up one day. My sister did everything she could think of with it to get it to heal but to no avail. I came home and slapped some Manuka honey on it for a week with just a tiny of swab of lint over it to keep it on as long as poss and keep flies off it. Within the week it was healed perfectly!
She is now in on goodness knows how long box rest (already done 4wks) as she has over-reached and cut the WHOLE of her heel off! :-O At the moment she is having Granuflex treatment but once I am able I will be using Manuka on it under the vets supervision. I am feeding it to her at the moment in the hope that it helps to keep infection at bay and promote healing.

I swear by it! Good luck x

Tnavas

Visit site
Active Manuka Honey is brillient - just buy the stuff from the health food store - don't be suckered into buying the stuff from the vet. It's all the same honey packaged differently

This cut healed so fast the horse was back in work 5 weeks after injuring itself
Tracheostomy_003web.jpg
100_0431web.jpg

spookypony

Visit site
I was told if the layer is thick enough, the flies can't get through the layer of honey. I left it uncovered, rinsed the honey off daily and re-clarted it, and my pony's kick wound recovered very quickly.