Actors and riding

kellybee

Visit site
Jamie foxx also used his own horse in Django Unchained. In an interview i forget where he said he thought he'd feel safer on his own but alas, it wasnt a stunt horse used to fire and crowds and explosions lol

gemin1eye

Visit site
I love viggo, and a lot of the actors in lotr practised riding for hours even when they didnt need to. theres a bit on the extended edition where bernard hill and miranda otto were riding...miranda good rider, bernard not so much! They were riding for pleasure as well though Viggo bought a number of the film horses after filming had finished as well as someone said

1stclassalan

Visit site
...... how he learned to ride and spent hours learning to vault onto a galloping horse .....

I don't know about - onto a galloping horse - but I was seriously impressed by an older girl who could vault from one she was already riding. She'd set her mount up moving well, bring one leg over and wait holding the pommel of an ordinary saddle - slip off at the right time and used the momentum of hitting the ground to bounce back up - she could repeat this on the other side too! Oh love at first sight - and she was ugly as a bucket full of frogs!

All that summer, I terrified myself by spending long days with her!!!!!! and falling many times under the galloping hooves - I've had them on my face, on my throat as well as many other rather delicate parts without a single bad injury - though my "horses" were lightweight pony breeds even if my favourite was a dun 15hh when he took his big pills.

In the end I could vault on one side and get back on the other facing reverse and twiddle in the saddle and once did eight bounces straight off before running out of galloping room.

Long after all that, I galloped my mare into a film set by accident - I'd been there a few days before and none of it had been there and it was in a public park - despite it being early, I was later told they were actually filming - so there is a length of 35mm somewhere with supamare on it - I loved to find it filmeypeople!!! About 1978 vintage at Pinewood - set looked like a Saxon/Viking village.

1stclassalan

Visit site
Oh I'll tell you someone who can ride and act a bit - the Plenty advert guy - Juan Sheet!

He was in an episode of Rosemary & Thyme ( yes, I know, just don't ask o.k.) riding a lovely Andalusian and wearing the same garb - obviously how he got his most famous role.

I don't mind actors like him though as he is playing up to it - not moping about saying - "oh dah-ling, the things I haveto do for money!"

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It always makes me wince, especially in westerns when the actors yank on the horses mouths, pulling them round or stopping them. You can see the horse's eyes rolling nd the mouths wide open. :(

dominobrown

Visit site
It always makes me wince, especially in westerns when the actors yank on the horses mouths, pulling them round or stopping them. You can see the horse's eyes rolling and the mouths wide open. :(

Those old westerns are very cruel. I have been told that in some films when you see horses galloping of the edge of cliffs, they actual chased them over the edge with dummies on their backs :eek: :(

If you want to be a geek the extended edition of LOTR shows loads on the horses in the film etc and what happened after.

Just googled it- the film was Jesse James. Also over 100 horse were killed in the making of Ben Hur.

Last edited:

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
I love viggo, and a lot of the actors in lotr practised riding for hours even when they didnt need to. theres a bit on the extended edition where bernard hill and miranda otto were riding...miranda good rider, bernard not so much! They were riding for pleasure as well though Viggo bought a number of the film horses after filming had finished as well as someone said

Yes I think he bought the lovely paint horse from the desert race movie too, lovely man:)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Speaking as someone who actually does this for a living, the vast majority of actors have done "a bit" of riding as part of their training; some (very few) can really ride (strange to relate one of these is actually Ray Winstone - who is a bit of a natural), and most have had very a good crash course on EXTREMELY good schoolmaster horses that are worth tens of thousands because of their reliability and photogenic looks (99% Spanish). Everything else that you see is either riding doubles or someone out of shot holding the horse on an invisible line.

Booboos

Visit site
The extra documentary on horses in LOTR is absolutely fantastic. It explains all about the training for the actors and horses, what happened to the horses afterwards (happy tearjerker!) and has loads of shots of the set up and the volunteers.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Sean Bean? Game of Thrones? Tell me more - tell me anything! Love it.
Sean Bean can ride a bit (he's not bad for an actor). GOT is mostly filmed in northern Ireland so all the "background" horses are Irish halfbred types, but all of the "featured" horses are either Spanish or Friesian supplied by Gerard Naprous The Devil's Horsemen - his daughter Camilla is Horsemaster on this production. My OH makes all the swords and weapons :)

TrasaM

Visit site
I'm watching clint Eastwood in Two Mules for Sister Sarah and he looks like he was born on a horse .. Beautiful horse too. Although thats a donkey that Sr Sarah is riding not a mule. :D

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I think it's fairly standard for actors to include horse riding on their CV even if their only experience was on a beach donkey when they were little! I know of more than 1 actor who this applies to, who then have to learn pretty fast if it's required!

I wonder what those who really can ride, says in their CV? :confused:

By the way, have anyone seen Arn - The Knight Templar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arn – The Knight Templar)? As I recall, I've heard that Joakim Nätterqvist, who plays Arn, actually got the part, because Jan Guillou and the others behind the film wanted an actor that really could ride. Joakim Nätterqvist parents and one grandparent has been competitive equestrians, he learned to ride at an early age and have competed in show jumping when he was young/teenager, so he's definitely done more than ridden a beach donkey. And according to Wikipedia, once the stunt crew on Arn realised "how well he could ride, he ended up performing his own horse stunts."

Anyhow, to those talking about a list, some of the names I've seen mentioned, Depp and Bloom...

As Legolas...

Butler...

Mortensen...

Bean...

:D

feisty_filly

Visit site
Been a while since I watched it but johnny depp in sleepy hollow rode very well, I think he also bought his horse afterwards.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I worked on a tv show ages ago where one of the actors was supposed to be able to ride. It was a pretty low budget outfit so I guess they had just taken her word for it but it was pretty clear when she went to get on the horse she'd stretched the truth, as it were. We had to go and tell the director he had a problem - not impressed!

fredflop

Visit site
Very late to the party... but as Sharpe just just appeared on TV riding a horse!

from what we see of Sean bean on a horse he certainly looks like he knows what he’s doing.

however one I’m suprised hasn’t been mentioned is Harrison Ford. You can see from the shots (mostly in last crusade) that he can ride, and he can ride well.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
I used to work at a large yard in Surrey that supplied a lot of horses for film and photographic work . They had a palomino pony who was an occasional stand in for 'Puff the pony ' on the kids programme Magpie and , we had numerous catalogue/calendar/magazine shoots taking place . One of the horses was used in a shoot for Mike Batt's album ' Tarot Suite ' ( a skeleton on a white horse ! ) , Sham 69 ( remember them ? ) were local lads and shot a video for Top of the Pops with them dressed as cowboys for ( I think ) Hersham Boys . They also shot the cover photos for the record in the feed room ( where they look like cowboys in a shoot out ) and I have a load of the origonal test photos they took for lighting/composition ( must dig them out - they might be worth something now ! ) . Jimmy Pursey was lovely and used to give us lifts into town ( we were in the middle of nowhere ! ) . He drove like a demon and had a big sedan style car with leather bench seats , and no seat belts , so we all used to slide across the seat in a row and slam into the door every time he took a corner at speed . Happy days !
But the one I really remember was the filming of an episode of the kids programme 'Horse in the House ' . The horse they used as ' the horse ' was a liver chestnut stallion called Mandao who was just the most amazing laid back character . He did all his own stunts even , in one episode , jumping off a canal boat onto the tow path . Can't remember what the episode shot at our place was about but we were supposed to be a racing yard and Davy Jones ( off've The Monkees ! ) was the baddie jockey , and he could not only really , properly ride but proper race ride too ! He was absolutely lovely to everyone and all the girls had a bit of a crush on him . They held the wrap party at the yard and I got to slow-dance with Davy Jones ! Thrilling - in theory ! But I am 5'9" and the lovely DJ is tiny so I spent an uncomfortable 3 minutes in a sort of semi-squat position trying to look as though I always danced like a constipated chicken . Ahh - memories …..

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I used to work at a large yard in Surrey that supplied a lot of horses for film and photographic work . They had a palomino pony who was an occasional stand in for 'Puff the pony ' on the kids programme Magpie …..
I used to care for Puff in his final years! He lived at Huntersfield Farm (owned by Pauline Voss and Jo Taylor). Yul Brynner used to pop in on occasions when he was starring in the King and I, and always popped along the front stable block to give grumpy Puff a treat after he had ridden one of the school horses.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
Before I nip off for bromide? required to get over the thought of teaching Richard Gere to ride, can I just say that I was under the impression that Davy Jones was indeed a flat jockey before becoming a Monkee ?

That would explain a lot !

I used to care for Puff in his final years! He lived at Huntersfield Farm (owned by Pauline Voss and Jo Taylor). Yul Brynner used to pop in on occasions when he was starring in the King and I, and always popped along the front stable block to give grumpy Puff a treat after he had ridden one of the school horses.

It's a small world is it not ! Our 'Puff ' was smaller than the real deal I think , and a really washed out pally colour ( I remember the real Puff being a really golden pally ? ) so really looked nothing like him ! He could only have been used for vague " Oh look , there's Puff standing far , far away in the distance " type shots ! And ours was called ( inevitably ! ) Blow .