Acupuncture

RhossT

Visit site
Has anyone else's horse had acupuncture? My horse reacted as if he had been given a hefty dose of sedation. The only difference was he came round as soon as the needles were removed.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We've had 2 horses treated with acupuncture, both relaxed well and the treatment was successful. One had a poll problem which was sorted in one session, although it did recur about a year later and was treated successfully again. The other one was a bid ID mare with back muscle problems, which I think had been caused by a badly fitting saddle. She needed a series of treatments, which also was successful when combined with hand-walking exercise. My vet now uses a laser rather than needles.

RhossT

Visit site
Interesting. The acupuncture was to help the horse relax while the chiropractic vet worked round his poll, rather than as part of the treatment. She also finds it is better than a twitch for ponies with small ears.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Interesting. The acupuncture was to help the horse relax while the chiropractic vet worked round his poll, rather than as part of the treatment. She also finds it is better than a twitch for ponies with small ears.

Not sure I understand that, I don't know of any vet who would use an ear twitch. My vet uses a muzzle twitch when necessary.

RhossT

Visit site
Not sure I understand that, I don't know of any vet who would use an ear twitch. My vet uses a muzzle twitch when necessary.

I have seen it done although not to my own horse. I am not sure how a muzzle twitch would work when the vet wants to look inside a horse's mouth? I have also seen a professional clipper do this.

silv

Visit site
Not a horse, but I have had it done and it cured my Tennis Elbow, that physiotherapy and drugs had not helped. Also my dog had it for a sore back and it really helped him. He was an anxious dog at the vets but as soon as the needles went in he fell asleep. I would certainly try it on my horse if the need arose.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have seen it done although not to my own horse. I am not sure how a muzzle twitch would work when the vet wants to look inside a horse's mouth? I have also seen a professional clipper do this.

You didn't say that the vet was working inside the mouth but at the poll. I would not allow a 'professional' clipper to use an ear twitch. They do not work in the same way as a muzzle twitch, which releases endorphins in susceptible animals.

baran

Visit site
You didn't say that the vet was working inside the mouth but at the poll. I would not allow a 'professional' clipper to use an ear twitch. They do not work in the same way as a muzzle twitch, which releases endorphins in susceptible animals.

RhossT specifically said the ear twitch hadn't been applied to a horse of his. I am surprised you say that ear twitches don't release endorphins as I have also seen it used and it seemed to work the same way.

Floxie

Visit site
Because twitching the upper lip does nothing to stop the mouth from being opened. I think ear twitching is a dreadful thing to do :(

brightmount

Visit site
My daughter is a vet and she studied veterinary acupuncture after qualifying. She practices on horses and dogs. It must be effective as she has regular clients. With animals, something either works or it doesn’t, you don’t get the placebo effect like you do with humans.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I don't think you have seen a muzzle twitch used properly if you think it would stop the horse opening its mouth! An ear twitch stops the horse moving because of the pain, rather than because of released endorphins. Some horses don't need a muzzle twitch, they respond to having the nose stroked.