acute lameness and high temperature

First Frost

Visit site
Firstly the vet came out this morning and examination was inconclusive. Injected with bute to bring the temperature down and I am continuing to poultice, on box rest. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

My 20 year old connemara became lame on his near fore yesterday. No obvious swelling or injury. Maybe a slightly warm foot and I can just about find his digital pulse. I decided to poultice and monitor until monday. He has no history of any type of lameness - i have ownered him for 16 years. This morning he hadn't eaten his hay and looked very miserable. He was still lame, may be slightly more, not hopping but had a termperature of 40 degrees.

I am worried about the possibilities, deep seated abscess, laminitis, some other infection!

thoughts and cyber hugs for a very special horse.

visa_bot

Visit site
My horse showed left hind lameness in December a few years back and we couldn’t find the cause. No swelling, no obvious pulse, vet was stumped. After a while it swapped to the right and upon blocking the hind feet, she became lame right fore so we then concluded it was definitely laminitis. It took a while to get to this point upon which time it was quite bad. She did pull through but it was hit and miss and she ended up 5 months box rest. I would treat like laminitis just in case, but not sure if the temperature would point more to an abscess which would be my preferred option of the two. Keep us updated.

Ossy2

Visit site
Laminitis or abssess would be my first fear given the high temperature. Can the vet come back tomorrow and X-ray foot? I’d maybe do the lami emergency diet too just in case. Socked hay no hard feed grass ect.

First Frost

Visit site
Agree with everything everyone has said regarding the seriousness of this.
Checked his temperature again at 7pm and it was down to normal and he was much brighter although still lame. Lameness is very much focussed in the near fore.
Vet coming back at 8am on Tuesday, if the temperature goes up again I will get the vet immediately. Until then he is on an appropriate lami regime, plus pouticing in case of abscess. I'm trying to cover as many bases as possible.
I will definitely be asking for bloods to be taken.
My vet is a major equine referral practice so no aditional referral necessary. He can go on Tuesday for xrays etc required..

ihatework - yes there is potential for blackthorn and I hadn't thought of that, so thankyou.
Keep your fingers crossed evryone.x

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
Treating him for the laminitis and for the infection. So box rest on a deep bed and bute. Plus strong antibiotics. The cause of the infection is still unknown but his white cell count is very high. Vet thinks he was heading towards full blown sepsis but we caught it just in time.
Well done for acting so quickly , what a shock

SEL

Visit site
Could it be blackthorn? I know a human who ended up with sepsis after a blackthorn splinter.

Healing vibes. Awful that he's got laminitis as a result and fingers crossed your vets can get him well quickly.

First Frost

Visit site
Thank you for asking.
The antibiotics certainly did the trick with the infection. His temperature has been normal for about 5 days. Now dealing with the sepsis induced laministis.
he walked out of the stable really well today and his feet are feeling cooler so moving in the right direction.
Just got to take it one day at a time and hope it doesn't happen again.x

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Thank you for asking.
The antibiotics certainly did the trick with the infection. His temperature has been normal for about 5 days. Now dealing with the sepsis induced laministis.
he walked out of the stable really well today and his feet are feeling cooler so moving in the right direction.
Just got to take it one day at a time and hope it doesn't happen again.x
Thank you for the update. Sounding very promising thank goodness