Adding shine after shampooing a dark bay

MagicMelon

Visit site
My sons dark bay dartmoor always looks a little dull after being washed (even though she's generally got a decent shiny coat). She's got camp this week so will get a bath beforehand - is there a good shampoo which adds/keeps the shine (I tend to use Tesco's own as does the job!), or is it baby oil added to a bucket of warm water at the end and sponged on which helps?

I'm used to greys (white!) who dont really need shine ;)

Sukistokes2

Visit site
The best my dark bay looks is when he has a little oil in his feed.
I always polish mine, those hand pads with hessian one side and sheep skin the other are good. So i would groom as normal, first with a dandy brush and then with a body brush and metal curry comb, once groomed I would use the hessian side first and finish with the sheep skin. A tea towel works quite well. Thats the best way to get shine, with elbow grease.

catkin

Visit site
I always use a horse shampoo rather than human (I find Gallop good on my dark ponies) and make sure that you rinse and rinse and rinse with plain water until every last scrap of shampoo is gone. Once dry, give a really good groom to lay the coat and finish off with a linen teatowel.

pansymouse

Visit site
I never wash mine, I feed her micronized linseed and brush her properly with Haas brushes - she's the shiniest horse I know. Elbow grease and natural oils will always give the best coat.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
A friend of mine used to wipe her horse over with vinegar!!

Shine comes from within not outside so I always feed micronised linseed.

Hope your son has fun at camp. :)

Visit site
Wash 2-3 days before then hotcloth with either a splash of detail or vinegar every day after. I wouldn't add baby oil as the pony will end up with a slippery coat.

Micropony

Visit site
A friend of mine used to wipe her horse over with vinegar!!

Shine comes from within not outside so I always feed micronised linseed.

Hope your son has fun at camp. :)

Yes, a vinegar rinse is worth a try. Most soaps and detergents are slightly alkaline so a rinse with diluted vinegar can help put skin Ph back to where it should be. But feed is the main thing.

Visit site
Another vote for feeding micronised linseed! Works wonders.
Hot clothing works brilliantly, Showsheen for final touches on the hindquarters, neck and shoulders. Then use a soft cloth or towel to bring the shine out.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I never wash mine, I feed her micronized linseed and brush her properly with Haas brushes - she's the shiniest horse I know. Elbow grease and natural oils will always give the best coat.

I wouldnt normally wash, but Im starting to think my son is developing an allergy to horses so I figure as he'll be spending a lot of time with her at camp I should try to wash away as much dandruff/scurf as possible :(

Thanks all, will give some of these a go!

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
Shine comes from within mine has linseed. Also I don't bathe the body (I do wash mane and tail) but I body brush. Was amazed the other day someone on my yard didn't know what I was doing with the whole brush three times then running the brush through a metal curry comb. I worry some of these "old" grooming techniques will be lost.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Mine is very shiny anyway but if I want extra super shiny then it's a bath with Supreme High Shine shampoo then a good brush with a goat hair body brush once dry. She's blinding in sunshine after that!!

Bungo

Visit site
In the old days the best way to get a good sheen on a dark horse was to put a pair of tights over your dandy brush and it lifts all of the dust and grease from the coat leaving it nice and shiny!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Feed micronised linseed and cider vinegar.

For shine, an old trick this! Get some WD40, spray on a sponge, and then work over the coat. Cheap and cheerful! Keeps flies away too, but just be careful if a really hot sunny day coz you don't want to fry the horse! Or a friend of mine years go who's pops was an MFH said they used to use paraffin...... worked a treat apparently.

teresagarsden

Visit site
Hi there,
Firstly I hope your son has a super time, he is gonna have the time of his horsey life at camp, they are amazing for building confidence in all aspects of riding.
Regarding bathing and shine - use a standard cheap tea tree shampoo (human) and when doing the final rinse off add a few cap fulls of Detol it makes the coat shine and helps to keep horse flies away too.
I have used this for many years and it works a treat.
Please be careful if you use anything oil based if the weather is hot, as the sun will heat it up and burn the pony. (baby oil and WD40)
Also as the others have said the shine comes from a healthy coat and that comes from healthy skin - fed from the inside.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Never bath just before a show as it does dull the coat I used to use a horse shampoo for black or dark horses, a good body brush will give the coat a good shine and finish with one of those microfiber dusting mittens and spar with coat shine, and I feed micronised linseed all year round great for the coat.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Yep, shine comes from within and I have to admit, since moving onto Cheshire grass mine is looking very shiny.

I would usually bathe him with Johnson's Baby no more tears (he's a sensitive Chesnut) but after getting a bit uncomfortable from horse fly bites I treated him to some Gallop soothing shampoo and he looked amazing for about a week. His coat was so soft and silky but unbelievably shiny.

It's very expensive and I have a huge horse so I'll save it for special occasions. But WOW!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Never bath just before a show as it does dull the coat I used to use a horse shampoo for black or dark horses, a good body brush will give the coat a good shine and finish with one of those microfiber dusting mittens and spar with coat shine, and I feed micronised linseed all year round great for the coat.

I always bath just before a show can’t say it dulls the coat but if fluffed up it can look less sleek.

My boy is naturally shiny and he is fed micronised linseed most of the year but he’s a fatty so off it at the moment.

I always use a good high shine or colour enhancing shampoo before a show and a tea tree oil one in between. I use one of those brushes with a sponge in the middle to really work the shampoo through the hair into the coat down to the skin. You may need a stiffer one for a thicker native coat.

A good groom to flatten the coat and stimulate a little oil. Then recently I’ve finished off with Naf Razzle Dazzle spray.

Last years result at age 22.

NfWJnU0.jpg

SOS

Visit site
My “black” but really, dark bay, horse always gets complimented on his shine. He has oil in his feed but for that super shine before a show: I wash him the day before with gallop horse shampoo after giving a thorough brush, use a rubber curry comb to really work the shampoo in. Apply all over, then rinse legs and tails, apply cheap human conditioner to legs and tail.

Rinse twice with a hose/scraper. Then get hot water with a little baby oil and rinse again with this. Try and let him dry naturally without a rug on and avoid dusty areas. I never apply show sheen etc. Unless it’s right before a class as it makes dust stick to the horse.

On the day I hot cloth with as hot as I can stand water with a little baby oil, or if it’s hot just water.

I’d suggest perhaps bathing your sons pony before camp and then running a hot cloth over every morning. It’s simple enough to do and paired with a good groom gives lots of shine without much effort.

Laika

Visit site
Dreamcoat - it is honestly the best. It smells incredible, can be used under the saddle too.