Adequan, injections...

Spartu

Visit site
Hello. Many new updates, some good, some bad. :/ First, the bad news. :( He got in great shape, and looked and worked amazingly, but after one training he got a nail in his frog, 3 cm deep, right hind. :( Was 3 legged, and got on bute, antibiotics and a tetanus shot immediately. After nail was out, he felt immediate relief and even rested the opposite leg. :) 6 days after, we discovered an abscess in his hoof. Nail got in his frog and abscess formed there. Vet and farrier were out, opened it and drained it. But swelling still doesn't go away, and there is heat in his leg. Swelling is minor, but can be easily felt. I'm afraid nail touched his DDFT, hoping not, but I'm dead scared. 2 vets said it is not what is going on, and he was lunged on a circle, no lameness present both ways. Still, I'm very worried. Will inform you on the progress. And now the good news. Adequan arrived finally! As soon as he gets back to work, he will get it. I'm sad because when it finally came, he cannot get it, but I hope everything will turn out well in the end, hope dies last. :) He feels great, and when I get him out of the stable to walk him, he gallops out and jumps happily. That gives me hope. Plus he had a shoe pulled off when abscess was drained, and no lameness without a shoe - another thing that gives me hope. :) His birthday is on April 15th, I hope this birthday will be a good one, last one wasn't, and previous, I didn't have him. <3 <3 Speak soon! <3

lizbet

Visit site
Oh no cant believe that poor lads luck.what DDFT. He is in good hands.Glad he so full of life bless him.Give him a big hug and kiss from me.I really hope he will be ok and has a super birthday he deserves.keeps us informed.x

Spartu

Visit site
Okay, things got a bit worse. DDFT is Deep Digital Flexor tendon, it runs behind Superficial Digital Tendon, like below it, and Superficial is just under the skin. It is kinda between it and a Suspensory Ligament. Yesterday, he was lame on it, and unwilling to go. And his DDFT is swollen. There is heat in whole leg, compared to the others which are as cold as ice. It is bad. But he is not shoed and hoof got a bit icky, plus the ground was vet. So maybe that's why, but I don't think so. Vet is out tonight, so I'll inform you tomorrow morning. :( <3

lizbet

Visit site
I am terriable with abbreviations sorry.Dont worry to much hes had a injury to frog abscess and no shoe so may be sore.But would get him fully checked out properly.rehabilitation patience and a good farrier is paramount for this type injury.Need correct shoeing so a not to put strain else were why injury repairs .Can take a long time to heal.Just hope he does not need box rest while he is feeling so well.I know you know what you are doing.I know you will look after him.Just remember you will be prepared to wait this injury out like we have dicussed before.His work is a bonus to you.With the correct management they can bounce back given a chance.
Got my fingers crossed for you not much of anything.

Spartu

Visit site
Thanks for all your advice. I won't give up on him, ever. For these short 2 years I had him, there have been more tears and downs, then ups and happy moments. Vet was out yesterday, asked me to trot him, and he is quite lame on the right hind. Vet got kinda confused, didn't expect him to be that lame. But he kept saying, like swearing it couldn't get to his DDFT or any important structure inside. Farrier said when he opened his abscess, it didn't seem to him like the nail entered the tendon, but he does consider it as a possible option. Vet opened his wound where abscess opened (Ahh, it just started to close and heal well.), there was a small amount of blood, and today both farrier and vet will come together to completely open the hoof, get everything out of it, clean it, and put Propolis. I think that's what it is called. His leg still has plenty of heat and is swollen, but only DDFT is enlarged. I'm dead worried now, but still hope it will turn out to be something else that will end within a week. He will also get Animalintex today or tomorrow. I hope if this is sorted out in 10 days, he can start light work for 3-4 days to start getting back in shape, and to recieve Adequan, for his birthday. It would be nice, and this is my plan, but who knows. I'll keep you informed. <3

lizbet

Visit site
You can always insist on scan of DDFT if your not happy.Be more expense but you will know.Good luck.Give him big kiss for me.keep us informed.Hope good news.

Spartu

Visit site
Okay, things are a bit better now. Yesterday he was in a small paddock for 2 hours I think, first we tried him on the lounge line and seemed pretty much sound, maybe some uneveness in gait because he has no shoe on that leg, and hoof is kinda yucky. He is also stiff for being closed in box for a while, he's not used to it. He had crazy bucking, jumping, trotting time, on his own, felt amazing. Day before yesterday vet opened a small hole where the old wound was, a bit of blood came, but really small amount, and yesterday his swelling got a bit down. So there is probably some blood, or discharge or something in his hoof, that is making a lot of pressure, and his heel bulbs are a bit swollen again, so I can't wait for them to open the hoof and clean it all. I think that will solve everything. <3 Will keep you informed, and talk soon. <3

Spartu

Visit site
Keep going x

Sad news... He may not live to his 9th birthday. He stopped eating, doesn‘t feel well at all, not in mood for anything, barely a sign of life in him... And limping is getting worse and worse. I can‘t get myself to one piece now, and I‘m drowning in tears, but , it is all about him, not about me. I won‘t be selfish, I love him more than my life, I‘ll write later, veterinarian is coming tomorrow, sorry but now I cannot say anything more..

lizbet

Visit site
Oh no what hell going on.why come to this.shocked.what is diagnoses.do u want me to ring u.dont do anything hasty.shocked.confused.xx

lizbet

Visit site
Really worried about u both can only suggest scan not a clue whats gone so wrong.some sort infection ?.could try getting him into the horse hospital if that bad.thinking of you.always hear.may need a flush if infected.try not to waste time

lizbet

Visit site
Been thinking about this as above scans images probs .Antibiotics etc. Flush whatever.ASAP.Equine hospital.vet farrier messed about to long.

Spartu

Visit site
Hello hun, thank you for all your care. Been at the stables almost until midnight yesterday, and sick today. :( 2nd vet is coming today, in around 3 hours, I just don't trust previous vets. I'm so impatient to wait him to come, but he has a surgery in another stable, so yeah. I'm just afraid to face the truth when he does come. And still have eyes full of tears. I still hope there is another abscess lurking inside... But so far not good, yesterday he rested the leg more, lameness in becoming obvious in walk, and he just stands in his box, unwilling to even sniff his hay. I'm going to him in like one hour and a half to wait for the vet together. But he's in so much pain, I hate to see it. We already talked about euthanazing him, but nothing can prepare me for that. The fact I must be there for him in his final moment, ughh. I must not leave him. But I would burst into tears and scream and probably die, not literally, and I just don't know. I don't want to talk about it so much, when it is not confirmed yet. But it leads to it. Crying again now, so I'll have to stop, but thank you so much for all the care and everything. <33 Going to ring some friends now, so we can be together when the vet comes. I'll post in 3-4 hours, when he's done with the vet. I'll do all it takes for him to be happy, but won't hestitate a second when I see he is in pain, unhappy and suffering, like he is now. To upset now again, lots of love and talk soon. <33333 !!!!! xxxxxxx

lizbet

Visit site
So sad come to this vet really missed something.Insist SENIOR vet help.Give him big hugs and kissess.Panicing hear feal so helpless you cant do anything.His mummy loves him .She will do all she can.xx

Spartu

Visit site
So sad come to this vet really missed something.Insist SENIOR vet help.Give him big hugs and kissess.Panicing hear feal so helpless you cant do anything.His mummy loves him .She will do all she can.xx
Ughh, it was a long and hard day for me, and a good one for him. Vet was out, did hoof testers, only shows pain reaction in his toe area, and vet said it is probably because he is not shoed, and because he did damage his hoof due to not having a shoe on. Later I trotted him in straight lines, walked too, and turned in circle, then trotted on circle. And suprisingly, he was sound. Only minor lameness, but not really a lameness... Vet said even the best horses don‘t do well without a shoe on, and shoed in other leg. He also said he doesn‘t see anything serious there, and prescribed me 2 things - one to give him through mouth and one to put on his hoof. Now I feel so bad, because vet probably thinks I was overly dramatic. And all the check ups were on the hard ground. Later I tried him on the soft ground, more lame. :( Feel so bad now. Looks like he went through a crisis yesterday, and was better. But still has plenty of not eaten hay. Vet said if lameness gets worse after work, we will do MRI. Baby boy was more happy yesterday, even stealing carrots in front of his box, and I allowed him. :) He deserves it. We will see how he goes in the following days, and I just hope we won‘t put him to sleep. I pray for him to start eating and feel good again, because that will be a good start. When he is back in work, I hope he will be sound, because any injury that leads to box rest will probably not end well. :-( I'll keep you updated, tons of love. xoxoxxxx <33 !!

lizbet

Visit site
OMG was so worried really thought from what you said was a blood poisoining.So glad he is ok.Earlier post said no wounder sore injury frog absess noshoe.plus same leg as old fracturewhich still has not been sorted by vet.Fact intermitent lame is good sign.
Dont like fact not eating and unwell and swelling.If at all unsure get him in asap.scans bloods probs.would certaintly want on antibiotics and some sort of protection for that foot for infection unless has to drain.If he is insured you might as well have it fully checked out they will exclued you anyway.Try tempting him to eat.Are you sure there is no infections.

Spartu

Visit site
Hello. Sorry for not updating for a while, but life has been busy with exams and college stuff. Yesterday we celebrated his birthday, and all I can say is, it was the best one ever, his 2nd with me. We had a cake, cookies, fast food and drinks, and pretty boy had his tail and mane done for the party, and plenty of carrots, apples, and pulled ears. :p Altough last month has been awful for us, we are still keeping up somehow. He is a bit back in work, but only lunged and only walk and trot, unless he canters and bucks on his own. He was allowed to work, but the leg never got the same as it was again. I don't see any lameness present, and he was tried before warming up, so he would probably show it if there was something. But he does wear egg bars on his hind legs, but I don't think they could hide a DDFT tear. Now when it is probably not the tendon, I have no idea what is going on. Now I use something we call 'blister', I use a toothbrush to put it on his leg after I wash it and stuff. If I understood my vet well, it should bring blood to the leg, like a lot, and leg will be swollen, and then when blood goes away, it will take all the bacteria and stuff, something like that? We are all still happy that he made it that night, and barn owner says he was really lucky. Other guy in the stable told me how his horse was put down, 2 year old, after nail in hoof, and my farrier told me about one in a club nearby who never got sound years after the injury. So I'm really happy. I hoped he will be on Adequan and working before his birthday, but it didn't happen. But I'm not sad. He's alive and on a good way to recovery. His got his shiney coat back and his weight back. Now when he is better again, I see how bad he looked during the bad days. I don't want to rush anything. I hope he will be back in full work during the next 2 months, and probably compete during the 3rd month. Can't wait to start him on Adequan, but vet said to wait until he is back in ridden work. Anyway, the party was great, around 20 quests, lots of fun and a great time. Here are some pictures of the pretty boy and many thanks to you for wishing him a happy birthday. It certainly was a happy one. <3 :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd....0_10201281021742319_3511543736226945559_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-vie.xx.fbcdn.net...7_10201281041462812_1660208430094123750_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd....8_10201281023622366_4965471866105946919_n.jpg

In the next two days, we are off to a town nearby to buy him presents and generally a big shopping tour of riding stuff, like we haven't been there 3 months ago. :pp

Spartu

Visit site
Hello. A small update. He is kinda back in work. Was ridden two days ago, and worked beautifully and sound as he can be. Lunged day after riding, I didn't like how he moved with his right hind, but lameness was not really obvious. Plus it was muddy, ugly ground, and dark, so I won't panic yet. So far, things are going great, and after turn out, his legs are clean, but still fill in the box, both legs, but right hind more. And we are searching for a new saddle for him - currently trying Kieffer Garmisch, both he and I love it, and he does great under it, but it lifts up at the back during riding and hits him back every stride, if you get it. But he shows no pain signs, so we will see if we can figure it out. Saddle fitter already invited. :) Hope to hear back from you soon, and here's a picture of him, new one. :D

https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net...019_617322698360102_4622855792842513785_n.jpg