Adjustable riding hats – go bigger or smaller?

Sophie C

Visit site
My head measures 55cm and I'm trying decide whether to go for the Uvex 52-55cm size or the 55-58cm size of adjustable riding helmet which, like a cycling helmet, has almost no padding. My Charles Owen Ayr8 is 55cm and has quite a lot of fabric/padding inside. It fitted when I bought it but has become way too big now (2 years later) as the foam has compressed. Has anyone any experience of whether Uvex adjustable hats 'stretch' with use, please?

mandyroberts

Visit site
Really suggest you try them on. Just because they are adjustable doesn't mean they will fit you. I found adjustable hats didn't adjust correctly for me and I think between sizesas you are doesn't make a good fit likely. Are you after an adjustable helmet or one that fits better than your existing one?

Sophie C

Visit site
I am after an adjustable hat as I much prefer the cycling helmet style for increased ventilation and lightness. My Ayr8 has always felt so heavy and bulky and hot.

flying_high

Visit site
Try one on from a friend or in a shop. I think if buy online distance selling means you can return for refund if not right size.

As a wild guess I’d go bigger as dial means adjustable. I tried mine on at a trade stand and got advice there. I didn’t buy for a while after that but did when the hat standards allowed to compete changed. Then bought online.

The uvex has no padding to compress so don’t think gets bigger unlike traditional hats that compress with use. Mine hasn’t changed.

I love mine and only wear it and don’t use other hats i have. It’s so light and comfy.

Sophie C

Visit site
Try one on from a friend or in a shop. I think if buy online distance selling means you can return for refund if not right size.

As a wild guess I’d go bigger as dial means adjustable. I tried mine on at a trade stand and got advice there. I didn’t buy for a while after that but did when the hat standards allowed to compete changed. Then bought online.

The uvex has no padding to compress so don’t think gets bigger unlike traditional hats that compress with use. Mine hasn’t changed.

I love mine and only wear it and don’t use other hats i have. It’s so light and comfy.
That's very helpful thanks!

mandyroberts

Visit site
I am after an adjustable hat as I much prefer the cycling helmet style for increased ventilation and lightness. My Ayr8 has always felt so heavy and bulky and hot.

I had an AYR8 and decided to change last summer when it was so hot with the same intentions as you. I ended up with the Gatehouse Air Flow Pro or Pro-Vent (can't remember which) - good venting , light and washable lining, steam lined not too much padding. I can't remember which makes of adjustable I tried but the Gatehouse was best on my head. Our heads are all different shapes but I really would try before you buy

Sophie C

Visit site
I ended up getting the 55-58cm Uvex (ie the larger rather than the smaller one) which is perfect. I do ride with a pony tail so I needed the extra space. The harness mechanism is brilliant – super-adaptable and easy to use. The hat itself is really light and well vented. I'm never buying one of those heavy padded numbers again.

flying_high

Visit site
I ended up getting the 55-58cm Uvex (ie the larger rather than the smaller one) which is perfect. I do ride with a pony tail so I needed the extra space. The harness mechanism is brilliant – super-adaptable and easy to use. The hat itself is really light and well vented. I'm never buying one of those heavy padded numbers again.

Excellent - I originally bought just that hat (same size) for hacking / hot weather. I now love it so much for being light and comfy I **only** wear that hat for everything! It's super light, vented, super comfy!