Adopting stable cats

Hackback

Visit site
I would like a couple of cats to live in our new stables to help keep the rodent population down. We have horses dogs and chickens. I don't really want kittens and I want the cats to live in the stables. Not bothered about gender, looks, disabilities or age as long as they are useful pest control and get on together.

Do you think an adoption charity would let me have any or are they looking for people.who will give the cats a pampered indoor lifestyle?

We have had many cats in the past, not recently as we had a very high drive dog who we have just lost, and they will be loved and looked after, just not pampered.

Max123

Visit site
I did similar last year. One charity was reluctant until I agreed to keep her indoors for a few weeks. I also was looking for feral cats which might be a better bet.
Word of warning though my stable cat sleeps outside because she wants to and is indoors most of the day. The "feral" yard cat now sleeps with me on my bed. ?

luckyoldme

Visit site
I did similar last year. One charity was reluctant until I agreed to keep her indoors for a few weeks. I also was looking for feral cats which might be a better bet.
Word of warning though my stable cat sleeps outside because she wants to and is indoors most of the day. The "feral" yard cat now sleeps with me on my bed. ?
Don't you just love the way cats always get exactly what they want ?

Archangel

Visit site
If you do a search on FB there are lots of charities with feral cats for rehoming. If you are near Wales the Cat Action Trust always have cats available. They do a brilliant job helping the cats.

The "feral" yard cat now sleeps with me on my bed. ?
Here is another feral who likes to live in.

Screenshot 2022-01-25 at 07.29.02.png

luckyoldme

Visit site
If you do a search on FB there are lots of charities with feral cats for rehoming. If you are near Wales the Cat Action Trust always have cats available. They do a brilliant job helping the cats.

Here is another feral who likes to live in.

View attachment 86358
Cats are amazing , out of any animal they just know how to work humans.

blodwyn1

Visit site
I got two ferals from cpl who lent me a aportable cat run to keep them in my barn for months. I had no choice in colours or ages or sex. They were both wild and unhandled and would poo everywhere. The female was the mother of the black male who was probably about nine months. When released they both adored my golden retriever but only came to me for food. Sadly the little black one got run over but I still have the female. She is a voracious hunter but is a filthy cat in the barn and feed room! I have to clean up after her every day despite her having a litter tray.

HeyMich

Visit site
Yes. I went to our local Cat Protection League and simply asked for a barn cat. They handed one over, I signed for her and took her home. I had to keep her in a closed environment for a month (outbuilding) and I still feed her every day in there, but she lives out and never comes in the house. Happy cat, no wee rodents, happy family.

TheMule

Visit site
I took on a lovely cat when he wouldn’t settle in a private home. He was doing a great job of pest control until the woman over the road thought he was too thin and started feeding him ?
He was a beautiful sleek, athletic animal and he's now a bit of a fat mogg, albeit a very happy one ?

paddy555

Visit site
I'm sure one of the various cat's homes would be delighted to find you a cat or cats. I have had lots of ferals from totally wild to one who was not actually semi feral but due to his circumstances needed a home , I just ring with a description of what I want and what I am offering. Make sure you ask for 2 because they will have to get on and the charity will know if that is likely. They often visit bringing the cat with them and they like to have somewhere to shut it for a couple of weeks. I give them an enclosed loft.

There are also "difficult" cats needing outside homes. One of ours from the rescue had been thrown down a laundry shute, was then in a cage at the shelter and totally cage bound had taken to attacking the staff and put one in A & E.
I just asked them which cat was their biggest problem, it was him and he was due to be PTS as there was no way anyone was going to cope with him as a domestic cat although that was what he was really.

We gave him his freedom, food and rats and he was perfect.
We couldn't have two, he was a total and utter killer and living rodent free was wonderful.

I think the ferals are more difficult to rehome so I expect the rescues will bite your hand off.
If you are in the SW this one is very helpful, Feral cats are not on their list of cats for adoption and you have to ring them (I expect other charities are the same)

https://www.woodsidesanctuary.org.uk (nr Plymouth)

Hackback

Visit site
Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I'm in Yorkshire so some are a bit far away but I'll certainly give CPL a try. I did go on their website yesterday where they have a search facility but it said there were no cats available for me - don't think it asked for more than my postcode tbh. I'll try contacting them direct.

Really encouraging to know they will let cats go to outdoor homes.

pixie

Visit site
You often have to contact the branches themselves about feral/barn cats. I know that my local one is often asking for homes for them on their facebook page. Maybe you could join a few? Where in Yorkshire are you?

Hackback

Visit site
You often have to contact the branches themselves about feral/barn cats. I know that my local one is often asking for homes for them on their facebook page. Maybe you could join a few? Where in Yorkshire are you?
Quite near Doncaster. I'll see if I can find anything on FB, thanks