Adult beginner riding lessons - NE Kent/SE London

Joeyjojo

Visit site
Hi all,

Following the sucess of the Olympics, me dragging my OH to the dressage for him to (shock horror) actually enjoy it! He has agreed to give the whole riding thing a go if I can organise some lessons for him.

Now I think its imperative that he gets a good shot at this with a decent horse and instructor (as he's not the most patent person in the world - hours of walking around will bore him very quickly!)

So I was hoping the lovely people of HHO would be able to recommend somewhere in SE London/NE Kent for lessons for him. I'd love to get him started at Mudchute as I enjoyed riding there, but even the waiting list is full apparently.

Does anyone know of any good riding schools or any private instructors with a suitable schoolmaster (asking a lot there I know, but I think this would suit him) that they could recommend?

Many thanks :)

Andiamo

Visit site
well done you for convincing him to give it a go! It's fab to hear about all the people now getting interested in learning to ride after the Olympics.

Can't help with a venue recommendation, but just wanted to say well done :)

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
Hiya, there's Mount Mascal Stables which is in Bexley, about a 25 min drive from SE London. It has a few lovely horses for adult beginners but weekends are very busy so If I were you I'd try to get there on a weekday. Or there's North Cray Riding Stables? Whereabouts are you stabled?

Joeyjojo

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I'll give those a call. I go down the A2 to get out to my horse so any of those would be good. I'll check them all out, but wanted to get personal recommendations.

Can I also get the details for Timbertops, I've heard good things but as FlaxenPony05 said I can't find out much about it!

silver_hip_flask

New User
Visit site
You could always try The Riding Club London (www.ridinglondon.com) - they do special membership for beginners and source the best riding centres in and around London. They hold lessons at Mudchute and you don't have to be on their waiting list to get in. Lots of exclusive socials and events too!

silver_hip_flask

New User
Visit site
I am indeed a member! It really is the only way to ride in London, they have your regular weekly lessons at a few centres in London and some just a short train journey out of London, but do many other exclusive events too. XC clinics, SJ clinics (one at Bedgebury in a few weeks with John Smart), polo lessons, side saddle clinics, weekend breaks, and a day clinic with Lucinda Fredericks in November! They have monthly, sometimes more regular, social in London too as well as hospitality at Hickstead, Olympia etc. If you fill out an application form you get sent an email inviting you to one of their drinks evenings and then you can meet with them to have a drink and chat about horses!

Perfect-Piaffe

Visit site
Please avoid the Bexley ones! If you do a search for these on here you'll see why!!

Sarah Williams is supposed to be very good- google Sarah Williams Dressage and also Chelsfield riding school.

Good luck :)

J&J

Visit site
Please avoid the Bexley ones! If you do a search for these on here you'll see why!!

Sarah Williams is supposed to be very good- google Sarah Williams Dressage and also Chelsfield riding school.

Good luck :)

Second this re the bexley ones, although timbertops was good when I had a lesson there a while back, not sure what it is like now.

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
I thought that the Bexley bashing would have stopped by now. Yes, Mascals can get busy, especially on weekends, however for an adult beginner at a relatively quiet time of day (eg 9am in the school holidays, which I agree, is inaccessible to some), it's generally a lovely place to ride. They do have their faults, as do most other commercial yards, but they also have some brilliant instructors and lovely schoolmasters. The hacking is very scenic and the place is easy to get to from SE London. Please actually take a look for yourself before you start believing all of the reviews on t'internet.
FP :)

KVH

Visit site
Certainly wouldn't touch the Bexley yards.
Timbertops is fine, have also heard good things about Chelsfield and Eaglesfield.
I'm sure there are several more but names escape me.. I will have a think.

biccie1

Visit site
I've ridden at mascals, north cray and Timbertops. I can safely say M and NC aren't a patch on Timbertops. I learnt more in 4wks there than I did in 4mths at mascals. So if you want Bexley then it's the best one. But I'm sure there are other good/better yards in other towns.