Adult dog and new puppy...

bex1984

Visit site
We have a 5 yo jrt x and a week and a half ago we got his little brother who is now 13 weeks old.

So far they are getting on pretty well most of the time, but every so often dog gives pup a real telling off, usual for pestering him/jumping at his face. He pins pup and snaps at him and the pup cries - it looks and sounds horrendous but there's never been a mark on the puppy.

Is this normal? The rest of the time they are playing together, dog has taught the pup to play tug with him, or sleeping together. They are not together unsupervised as pup is crated when we're not around.

New to having 2 dogs and just want to know that all is going ok!

Clodagh

Visit site
Completely normal and won't do the pup any harm, my lurcher is horrible to puppies but has never marked one - just scared them plenty! You may need to be careful as pup gets older as I imagine one day he will want to be top dog, but I wouldn't worry yet.

Alec Swan

Visit site
^^^^ Such a rational and sensible post of Clodagh's, yet another!

As your 5 yo learnt, so will his small brother, and in time, the small brother will explain the facts of life to another. It's the pack-system, and it's how dog's work!

Alec.

twiggy2

Visit site
agree with the above one of my grumpy dog used to get taken into the puppy classes I taught just to put the rude over the top puppies in their place, he always swore very loudly at rude pups and pinned them to the floor but in 12yrs he never marked one-he taught the puppies to approach unknown dogs with hesitation and respect but not fear-perfect

bex1984

Visit site
Thanks so much... Just what I wanted to hear and makes me feel much better.

We think our dog has taken on a sort of father role with the pup... He's certainly keeping him in line (and keeping him busy THANK GOD... I'd forgotten how full on puppies are!!)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
They will be best buddies in no time! Puppies learning the boundaries and by the sounds of it your older dog is doing a great job at teaching it.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Absolutely nothing to worry about just normal dog behaviour, you will end up with a very sensible pup who will not be rude and jump into other dogs faces. My dogs are exactly the same and with my foster dogs too, dogs who have never learnt manners are told in no uncertain fashion what is unacceptable and its very satisfying seeing the changes in them.

bex1984

Visit site
Just a little update... Puppy got his usual telling off from Dog a few days ago, and Dog managed to catch his eye (of all places!) with a claw. We were with them and I don't think he meant to do any more than scare him and has since been Very Sorry.

Anyway... A trip to the vets later and we now have the fun job of getting eye drops in a puppy 4 tines a day! It's looking much better today and vet doesn't think there will be any lasting damage.

They are currently razzing around my kitchen playing tug with each other so all is well! (apart from my nerves, which are a little frayed)