Adult gymkhana fun

tiga71

Visit site
This is the first thread I have been brave enough to start on HHO.

Izzy and I went to our RC's adult gymkhana competition on Sunday so I thought I would do a report. Haven't put it into the competition section as a bit serious in there for gymkhana.:D

There were six races and we did the individual and then the team event. We have been before so knew what to expect and last time were Mug Race Champions:D so wanted to defend our 'Title'.;)

Sock and bucket race - Izzy was great, fast and quick to stop. I was rubbish and missed the bucket so had a quick dismount and remount but only came 3rd.:rolleyes:

Flag race - I have despooked Izzy too much. In the final I asked him to move over a bit to reach the flag, bit too much pressure with my leg and he side passed right over the flag and cone, knocking it over and standing on top of it. Oops, my bad. Only came second.

Mug race - We rocked and won the final. Steady canter is the way to go.

SHC_5115_zpsd51ef2d7.jpg

SHC_5116_zpsc9b87491.jpg

SHC_5117_zps1fd02174.jpg

SHC_5118_zps59a5aa9e.jpg

Hula Hoop race - Had to ride to end of line, get off, take off rattling hula hoop and put it over your body, then put back on pole and run back with horse. Izzy is totally cool with hula hoops, we play with them a lot and we won that final too!:D

SHC_5159_zps6303f157.jpg

Bridge race - Upturned buckets that you have to ride up and back to, get off, then run across leading your horse. I am rubbish at this and didn't make the final.:(

Bending poles - Izzy was well excited and we were fast.:D But then we had an excited bronc and lost valuable seconds so sadly missed the final by a hair. On the upside, I used to worry if he had an excited bronc, this time I just kicked him on and told him to bronc while he was bending.:)

SHC_5250_zps6fb3bfe4.jpg

SHC_5251_zps035ba620.jpg

We came second over all and second in the teams. A great day out. Gymkhana is so much fun. If you get chance to do it you should, it is brilliant.

SHC_5578_zps54bbb75c.jpg

Last edited:

cambrica

Visit site
Well done! I am so jealous! Absolutely loved gymkhana as a kid and teen, that was 30 yrs ago!
Don't think I could vault on a miniature Shetland now though!

Charley657

Visit site
That looked like so much fun. I did some minor gymkhana stuff in my teens but it was on school horses. They loved it tho. :p

Izzy is so handsome I love him. :D

ebonyallen

Visit site
Well done the pair of you. ~Great photos. That really takes me back now (showing my age) those were the days great fun, great games and the horses loved it as well. The trouble is well down this part of the country shows do not have any games its all jumping and showing and I do feel for the youngsters who do not want to jump, what is there for them. Going back to your thread I would love to do something like that, thanks for starting the thread and sharing with us.

tiga71

Visit site
Thanks for your nice comments.

I have only been riding since 2008 so never rode when i was little. This is my only experience of gymkhana but I really love it. It is just so much fun. We have another one in the Autumn and I will try to arrange one at our yard in the summer.

I am just going to learn to dismount at canter. Not sure I will manage to get on at canter though. But will give it a go!:D

WelshD

Visit site
Well done, it looks like you had a great time. Some really good action shots there!

Games seem to be few and far between at shows now, they are great fun and I do think they taught some essential skills to kids which IMHO are a bit lacking now

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Ah yes haven't done it for a few years now! My old boy was the best! Unflappable. When I start my youngster this is one of the things I aim to do in her formative years. Builds up the brains!

tiga71

Visit site
It's amazing actually how many people say 'Oh no, I don't want my horse to get too excited, it will ruin her for dressage/ showing/ whatever'

What a lot of people don't seem to appreciate is that while it is exciting and fun for horse and rider, the horses really have to listen to you. It teaches them so much about spooky stuff, voice commands, to be off the leg, quick to respond, focus even when they are excited and focussing on you when another horse might be losing it next to them.

It is really good for their brains and your partnership. Obviously it is fantastic fun too.:D

Gracie21

Visit site
LOVE this thread! :D She looks like she's loving it and how beautiful she is too! I just to compete in mounted games to national level and then went on to MGA when I was too old for Pony club, it's the most fantastic sport in the world :)

P.S I'm very impressed with your mug race skills!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
We used to organise our own too. If you can get a few like minded friends, hire an arena for the day and have some equipment, its so easily done! We even got rosettes made! It is such a lot of fun. We had a great day and dressed up fancy dress!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
What a stunning advert for a cob. He's wonderful, fit, muscled and with an exquisitely intelligent face.
He's a cracker, I'd have him like a shot, but I'm sure he's a keeper and priceless to you :D

Your day looks like tremendous fun, I went to a pony party a while back and I haven't laughed so much in ages doing the gymkana games and horseball intro. ( I bet your lad would love horseball.)

tiga71

Visit site
What a stunning advert for a cob. He's wonderful, fit, muscled and with an exquisitely intelligent face.
He's a cracker, I'd have him like a shot, but I'm sure he's a keeper and priceless to you :D

Your day looks like tremendous fun, I went to a pony party a while back and I haven't laughed so much in ages doing the gymkana games and horseball intro. ( I bet your lad would love horseball.)

Thank you. He is fabulous. Super at endurance too. Our first training ride the other weekend we were bang on 12 km/hr for 32 km (fastest we could go). He is on loan from a rescue centre but ain't going anywhere even when he needs a quieter life.

I am so wanting to have a go at horseball but nothing down here. We have already had a go with people throwing my netball at us in trot and canter. He is great even when they are rubbish throwers and hit him!

lottiepony

Visit site
Wow looks awesome! and lovely horse too! Think I may have to suggest this to the riding club I belong to! There should be gymkhana races at the British Riding Club Championships if there isnt already!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We're thinking of organising a fun show this year at our RC in memorium to a lovely lady that died. We were thinking of adult games, fancy dress, and handy horse etc. A fun day for those that never had the chance as a kid..

Spit That Out

Visit site
Great pics and what a lovely horse...gymkhanas can be great fun for kids and adults but some adults needs to let their hair down more and stop taking everything so seriously.
Well done for getting placed :)

miskettie

Visit site
Tiga71 - Just seen this thread and thought...oh another adult gymkhana and then realised it was the same one! I'm Kim and was in the same team (on the grey).

It was out first time and we absolutely loved it! So much fun and really good for the horses to get used to scary things. I am still trying to decide what photos to buy!