Advanced Dressage Horse?

Stella

Visit site
I'm just being nosy really. Does anyone know what kind of money an 'advanced dressage horse' (I think this term refers to a higher level than affiliated advanced dressage) sells for? One of my instructors is looking to buy one from Germany and is sworn to secrecy on the price. I'm just curious as they are never advertised so for those of us who are never in the market for one, its hard to have an idea of what they go for. I'm guessing maybe £100,000 +?

Nailed

Visit site
Thats like saying 'How much with a farrari cost'

Cause lets face it, a farrari from 1980 is gonna be worth bugga all but a new one is worth alot!

Depends on breed, type, age, height... And an Advanced dressage horses is a horse with is competing at advanced level.

Any more details?
She'd tell you the price if she thought you needed to know.. not being funny.

Lou x

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
It depends on the actual grading you're after and how much potential.

Mine has competed at PSG and came to us through my trainer. He'd be able to compete at GP with ease at national level. He does lack massive paces however - his are very correct and floaty as opposed to huge.

The price bracket is huuuuge depending on whether you're wanting something that is working at x level but wont go further, is working at x level and now ready for a quieter life, is working at x level with potential to go on or is working at x level with potential to be a world beater.

25,000 upwards will get you something work at advanced and upwards imported from abroad. It wont be a world beater, but will probably go to GP if brought on correctly. You have to be careful buying from abroad. They will see UK shoppers a mile off. Always be aware if its being sold out of the country, the chances are its not an international prospect (but to be fair, most of us dont need that
tongue.gif
). You need to really go through an agent, you need to make sure you have someone with you who speaks the language and you need to not get carried away with the idea of being a big flashy WB from abroad
smile.gif

Theres a horse for sale in h&h atm that i tried before Jack. Shes working at advanced level and has been a BYRDs horse for a couple of years. Nice little mare, wont go any higher than PSG to be honest but will be an excellent BYRDs team horse. They want 30,000 for her.

60,000 upwards and you're probably starting to look at potential international level horses (although they wont BE working at that level). When i left the UK, a friend had just paid 65,000 for a youngster working at elementary but with paces to die for. If all goes well, he'll be an international prospect.

You can pick aged school masters up for varying degrees of money. Again it depends on what their potential for competition is. One of the Moody's GP horses is on loan to one of the UK YRs for 25,000 per year. Hes 22 years old and although hes at GP, he wouldnt be an international star.

Said YRs parents paid 180,000 for her last pony who is, without a doubt, an absolute superstar and has raked up the international medals for her and was Dressage Pony of the Year last year (when he also retired from competition).

Of course, there will always be the individuals who stumble upon a real star for a couple of thousand pounds. It does happen, its just not the realistic rule
smile.gif
Good dressage horses are a lot of money these days.

Stella

Visit site
I know she would. I don't need to know, I'm just musing
wink.gif
Its a warmblood of course, don't know which variety and its 9.

Stella

Visit site
Thanks Tierra, all very interesting stuff. The horse in question will be hoped to go all the way by 2012. Of course there are never any guarantees of success in horses, but they are unlikely to get stung as all the right contacts are there. I can't say anything else really as I would hate to say anything that could identify them!

I on the other hand may be in the market for an aged school master one day if I'm very lucky. In the meantime, my big ambition is just to get to, and do something respectible, at Elementary with the Gorgeous One
smile.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
You're right, theres never a guarentee, you just pay to have things weighted in your favour
wink.gif

If we're talking olympic level stuff (which im guessing you are), you're gonna be over 100k. As i mentioned, Manitu was bought for his last rider at a high value (edited to remove price since OP has now seen anyway). Lot of money but for a pony that took his rider to international level and won her numerous medals
smile.gif

The school masters are a tough one. On the one hand, many people will value them quite low (its happened on here on a number of occasions), yet they usually pass hands for pretty high amounts (or go on permanent loan). Jack was 12 when we got him, so not too old but at PSG and a complete veteran in the show ring. We were also fortunate enough to have his complete history right back to his breeder. He was pricey but 100% worth it. 4 years on and we have never regretted what we paid for him. He's taught me so much and still is. I feel honoured to have had him in my life
laugh.gif

Stella

Visit site
I'm glad you found your Jack
smile.gif
These figues are mind boggling unless a person is exceptionally wealthy. No wonder its such a difficult and stressful decision to shell out for an Olympic prospect
shocked.gif
and no wonder people so often are tempted to wrap such horses up in cotton wool! The cost of insurance must be a killer too
shocked.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Well manitu's last rider (and although hes now retired, they have kept him) was Samantha Harrison (as in TC Harrisons).

The amount of money is certainly crazy, although for most of us, we dont need to worry about looking for an olympic prospect
laugh.gif
Many of those horses are also owned by wealthy people backing the riders as opposed to the riders themselves.

Theres a lot of money floating around the dressage world. Without stereotyping too much, i think the discipline appeals to the middle and upper class house wives out there
wink.gif

Im certainly dreading when I need my next
tongue.gif
I think my OH is too
tongue.gif

On the other hand, horses cost roughly the same to keep (within reason), so spending as much as you can on something really really nice makes sense for me. I would sooner spend a lot on one really good horse than a lower amount and have say 3, which seems to be common even amongst amateur competitors these days.

GlamourDol

Visit site
Advanced horses can cost you anything. A horse that can do it at home but not at competition will be worth bugger all, but a horse that will do Juniors and Young Riders you can pay big money for, and most of the time you have to!
A horse that is at PSG and will go no further you could probably pick up relatively cheaply, its the ones that have potential that will cost!
But then a horse is only worth what someone will pay for it.
K x

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
huntley school of equitation have had an ex. intermediare II competed horse given to them on a permenant loan for free. He is 19 and feels his age, but still more than capable of the higher level work given enough time to warm up - I've been practicing my 2-time temp changes and piaffe on him, and he still loves to work!

An old trainer of mine also bought her PSG horse for a song - but he only had one eye, and also had some tricky to manage heart problems - so there was a valid reason for his price, and it was heartbreaking when he did have to be put down at about 17 because of those problems... had a good run while he was fit though!

Stella

Visit site
There are sponsors picking-up part of the tab, but I think the other part is still a big headache!

I think they must be more than middle class housewives. I earn a fair amount, but I doubt that £60,000 would ever be an option for me on a horse. We all seem to live up to our outgoing don't we? and unfortunately I have no relatives who will leave me any nice legacies! I agree about putting good money into a good horse, rather than 'collecting' poor ones though, which some people seem to do!

GlamourDol

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well manitu's last rider (and although hes now retired, they have kept him) was Samantha Harrison (as in TC Harrisons).

On the other hand, horses cost roughly the same to keep (within reason), so spending as much as you can on something really really nice makes sense for me. I would sooner spend a lot on one really good horse than a lower amount and have say 3, which seems to be common even amongst amateur competitors these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes these horses/ponies cost alot of money but take Mani for example was bought to do a job and he did that. And for that i think the money we all spent on our top horses was worth it. You wouldn't try and do a F1 GP in a mini, so why try win a medal on an average horse.
grin.gif

I agree totally on that, although D atm seems to think its great fun to cost us loads of money to keep! Bloody Germans.
tongue.gif
grin.gif

P.S I'm sure the Harrisons would love the fact its just been printed how much they paid for the pony.
wink.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Ya, the aged ex GP horses is a good way to get hold of something nice if you dont mind having an older horse. Particularly if youre trained by someone quite well known as many of the riders like to know where these horses are going or prefer to loan them.

We had a couple of GP horses on our yard that were on loan to younger riders primarily because of our trainer (and the condition that they stayed with her).

There are some gems out there if you're prepared to take something a little bit older
smile.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Agree with you completly. Mani gave samantha an amazing few years - can you really put a value on that? obviously so, but its understandable that its a high one
smile.gif

p.s The price paid for mani has been circulated many times and in many other areas, including this forum in the past. I was merely answering a question about top level horses.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Yea
frown.gif
Its sadly not unheard of lol
frown.gif

Im not in touch with how the SJing market is, but the dressage market is really crazy these days. My next, i think, is going to be a Knabstrupper (staying faithful to my newly adopted home country and all that), hoping it might get one not too crazily priced since theyre bred here mostly
frown.gif

Must be nice to spend 250k on a horse without too much worry
wink.gif

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
He was nice but not a big flashy horse at all. Had a few issues that were sorted out and he did quite well, coming 6th at the Nationals at GP level.

He could still stand up in the middle of a test and try to p*ss off out of the arena given half a chance!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
My trainer in the UK sourced a horse for a client (fellow livery) around the same time we got jack. They had quite a large budget but the horse that actually got chosen was 25k, working at advanced level.

Hes not much to look at tbh but hes turned out to be a complete gem. He'd took the lady in question from prelim to PSG in 14 months (when i left the uk). I heard on the grapevine shes moving to GP this year. Hes taken her to the nationals and she did really well at the dressage to music in 2006.

Just goes to show they are out there and while 25k is still a LOT of money for most of us, hes going to take her right to the top without doubt and he was an absolute darling
laugh.gif

charlie76

Visit site
It all depends- I currently have a Advanced Medium horse for sale for £6,000 as he has a little bit of stiffness when he first comes out of the box- it works off but he might not pass a flexion test. Its never been picked up in the arena however.
Otherwise he is a complete school master.He is 13 yrs old.