Advantages of sticky bum jods?

CanterTrot

Visit site
Thinking about investing in a pair for Christmas. What are the advantages and disadvantages for sticky bum jods and what do they actually do? I may be being very stupid here! Obviously by the sound of them they sound like they have some sort of material that sticks to leather?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
If you are talking about suede effect (clarino) seat then they are definitely less slidey on the leather and do seem to keep you a bit more secure in the saddle but they are not sticky as such. I now will only buy ones with that kind of seat but hated them for years.

Disadvantages are it seems harder to get your foot into the stirrup as they are less flexible than the rest of the material and can pull as you are trying to get your foot in but I also think I am less flexible generally too :eek: . Also if you don't quite get the right fit and the crotch is a bit low you can feel perched as the material isn't as stretchy.

dappyness

Visit site
I find them a fantastic idea. When I just started out they helped me with a secure seat - i was all over the place when going down hills. I still wear them now but find it difficult to move my weight slightly when schooling.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Love 'em!!!

But if you want the same effect and keep the jods you have then just buy an Acavello (spelling??? dunno!) gel-out seat saver.

IF you're buying, just a word to the wise; Caldene Belgrade "sticky bum" (high waisted) breeches look & feel fantastic in the first instance........... BUT if you're riding for longer than about an hour, do bear in mind that they've stupidly put a great lumpy seam just in, er, um, rather an "awkward" place; and after the first hour you'll be wanting to strip the blimmin things off PDQ. MEGA uncomfortable! :( A pity, coz in every other respect they're a nice garment.

BarmyC

Visit site
I have had some clarino sticky bums and had the same problem with the knees and fit.

I then got some rugged horse full seat breeches and their simulated leather seat and they have all the benefits if clarino but stretch through the legs too