Adverse reactions to annual vaccinations...any experiences?

HeresHoping

Visit site
Hello,

Yesterday my 7 yo 16.2hh TB gelding had his annual vaccinations in the morning. He had the farrier in the afternoon which involved a 2ml application of sedalin 45 mins before her arrival [sigh, I know, but we can't get shoes on the back otherwise - he's getting better slowly but it's still dangerous round there]. The vet - I did check - said it would be fine to give after the jabs. She advised the 2mls plus a 0.5ml top up if it hadn't kicked in at 1 hour 15 (it's 2mls per 450kg) and he's about 480 kgs).

So, his back shoes never went on because he wouldn't behave. At all. Then, 2 hours after the sedalin I had a horse with his nose on the floor. Three hours later, still very, very dopey but looking over the stable door and showing an interest in the fact that his yard colleagues were being fed (he wasn't, not in that state, anyway). It was suggested I brought him out of the stable and walked slowly around. His back end went from under him and he was walking like he had stringhalt. Put him back, phoned the vet, she said it sounded very much like he was still doped and to leave him with water and some hay and a very lightweight rug. Went back a couple of hours later and stayed with him for an hour or so...he hardly moved and was very hot. Removed his rugs and just rubbed him all over. When he condescended to bite my bum I decided he might be perking up a bit so went home. Didn't sleep very well.

Went back this morning and he was (phew!) looking over his stable door. Fed him (on vet's advice) and he half-heartedly ate half his breakfast. He had at least done a few good poos. Took him to his winter paddock and he was still very, very wobbly and thoroughly disinterested in spooking at usual spooking points.

Have called the vet and discussed and she now thinks it may be an adverse reaction to the jabs and the sedalin together. She is coming back this afternoon, but I just wondered if anyone else had seen similar? What did you do?

Many thanks indeed,

HH

First Time Mum

Visit site
Hi my mare has a reaction to Duvaxyn annual booster so we have to avoid she gets big lumps on her and a temperature but she is fine with the other brands. Also allergic to animalintex which is slightly more problamatic with her accident prone tendancies

HeresHoping

Visit site
Thanks First Time Mum. My passport is locked up in my tack room so can't see what brand they used. He didn't have a lump where the jab went in, and no other bumps. Just the temperature and the ridiculously dopey state.

But I will mention to the vet.