Advert - Poor conformation for broodmare?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
also I think its very rude to post a photo of someone else's horse and invite criticism and comment , would you be happy for complete strangers to pull apart and condemn a horse of yours ?

I would normally agree, but I think it's a bit different if the advert states that the mare has poor conformation?

ycbm

Visit site
I dont understand why she is being sold as a brood mare because of poor conformation, and I wonder if the ad has been misinterpreted? She would be better left to mature, maybe even til 8 the IDs can mature so late, then backed and sold as a low level RC horse.

ycbm

Visit site
I have found the advert. It says 'due to conformation fault', not poor conformation, possibly a very different thing. It's on Horsemart in the broodmare section.

Presumably (hopefully) vets have advised that the mare has a non-heritable conformation defect which makes her unsuitable to be ridden but she can produce sound offspring.

stormox

Visit site
I have looked at pic, she looks ok but its a bad angle as it makes her hind end look weak and her shoulders big and they probably arent. I think the 'conformation fault' may be her straight hind fetlocks. These may get better as she matures, they could be caused by her position in the womb rather than hereditary. You would have to see her to be sure.

cundlegreen

Visit site
I have found the advert. It says 'due to conformation fault', not poor conformation, possibly a very different thing. It's on Horsemart in the broodmare section.

Presumably (hopefully) vets have advised that the mare has a non-heritable conformation defect which makes her unsuitable to be ridden but she can produce sound offspring.

The ad states she has pigeon toes. Hardly the worst thing in the world, but she still seems much too cheap for her looks and breeding. I'm wondering if she's been started and things went wrong.

ycbm

Visit site
Cant see that in the Horsemart version (love the gelding in broodmares though 🤣).

That's a real puzzle, why would being pigeon toed stop her being backed and ridden, and why would anyone breed from a pigeon toed mare unless they can prove it was created by poor trimming as a younger horse? Very odd.

Last edited:

cundlegreen

Visit site
I found it on Preloved.. no mention of being pigeon toed in the add
Really?
Olive - MTF COBS
4 year old, 15.2hh
Lovely full Irish Draught mare
Kind and sweet nature, easy to do in all ways. Good with farrier, vet, ground work etc.
Unbroken
Selling as a Broodmare due to poor confirmation (pigeon toed)

cundlegreen

Visit site
Cant see that in the Horsemart version (love the gelding in broodmares though 🤣).

That's a real puzzle, why would being pigeon toed stop her being backed and ridden, and why would anyone breed from a pigeon toed mare unless they can prove it was created by poor trimming as a younger horse? Very odd.

I had a pigeon toed TB mare. Never unsound, won PTP, workers at HOYS and RIHS level, and went to 2* eventing. A mare of a lifetime...