Advice about behaviour at shows

[59668]

Visit site
Hi

I have a general question about behaviour at shows.

At home I am insistent on good manners. He has to stand still to be tacked up and when I mount and has to wait to move off until I ask.

But at shows, where everything is more exciting and he feels like he has to move his feet, I am more lenient as I would rather direct that energy than have a fight over things.

My question is should I insist on the same behaviour in an exciting situation or just take what I can in the hope that one day things will not seem so exciting and he will be more able to keep his feet still and continue to avoid having a fight!

What do you do?

NoCollection

Visit site
I feel that horses are reassured by familiarity and consistency, so I insist on the same behaviour at shows as at home. I work hard to make sure that "the same behaviour" applies to me as well as the horses.

WoodfordFox

Visit site
Parties are exciting! How experienced is your horse? If he's fairly experienced but gets bolshy at shows then I wouldn't stand for it, but if he's young or green, then keep it fun. Praise him for being good and don't get wound-up - it'll only make him anxious.

[59668]

Visit site
Well he is 7, but the vet thinks younger, and we only went to our first show last July. We get out I would say twice a month, and he really isn't that bad...jsut more on his toes and can't stand still. It's more irritating than anything, especially when I want to get on. The second I am on he is walking off, and he is a fidget to tack up and boot up....
His first show was also my first ever show, so we aren't very experienced at this! I also am at shows on my own 99% of the time, so have no help.

WoodfordFox

Visit site
Enjoy it. Relax. Have fun. Don't worry about the little stuff, he'll improve! Everyone knows my horse very well - because for about the first two years I couldn't leave him tied to a trailer so he came everywhere with me and someone would have to hold him if I needed a wee! But they do learn, make sure it's a positive happy experience - for both of you.

WoodfordFox

Visit site
PS - I have no help either, but he seems to understand that we're in it together. He's an angel now, except with dressage boards, hey ho! Teach him how he should behave, and praise him when he's good, but be patient and don't get cross at minor things while he gets used to the party atmosphere.