Advice about rehoming please

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
My sister has just taken in her daughters cocker spaniel but it can only stay for two weeks.

The back story is she is a very much loved 6 year old bitch but my niece and partner have adopted a now 4 year old child. The child has troubles and has become very jealous of the dog. Things were getting out of control with the child hitting the dog, getting told off and then really attacking the poor dog. Unfortunately they live in a small house so they cannot give the dog a child free room, hence my sister taking the dog home at Christmas. I thought that I had found a home for her but the person came to the top of the list for a dog from Battersea and rehomed from there.

My question is where would be a good rehoming charity, or similar who could help find a suitable home, quite soon without the need for her to languish in some kennels.

Thanks.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I was also going to say a breed rescue.Thye often either rehome directly fromthe dog's own home (whichIknowwouldn't be exactly possible in this case) or have fosterers where the dog lives in the fosterers' home. You could even start a thread on here sometimes that works to find a dog a good home. She doesn't sound as if she would be difficult to rehome.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
The child does have issues and as he stays longer they are showing more. He is not at an age to vocalise what is bothering him but he has asked when is he leaving, this was when given a birthday present.

To think thay you are going somewhere else strange just because you have been given a present must be awful.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
The child does have issues and as he stays longer they are showing more. He is not at an age to vocalise what is bothering him but he has asked when is he leaving, this was when given a birthday present.

To think thay you are going somewhere else strange just because you have been given a present must be awful.

That's heartbreaking. Especially bearing in mind some of the high profile cases in the media recently. I hope he finds some stability with your niece.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Whilst I understand perfectly why the dog has been rehomed, that won't actually help the child to feel secure in his new home. It is a dilemma for foster/adoptive parents and IMHO the social worker who arranged the adoption should have been very careful to see the child with the dog and with other animals before going ahead with the placement.
I wish all involved well for the future.

SusieT

Visit site
This sounds like a very lucky child to have found a home where they are being put first.
It is very sad the dog is losing its home but the four year old child realistically also needs ah ome.
I wonder would anyone foster for them for 6 months until they see how child settles ?

skinnydipper

Visit site
And I still stand by it, I'm sorry there is no WAY I would entertain keeping a child like that, It' sounds like Vicious little thug. My Opinion if you don't like it scroll on.

Well, aren't you just a little sweetheart.

The OP was asking for help in rehoming a much loved dog, not for your distasteful comments about the child mentioned.

If you couldn't offer any helpful advice, it would have been better not to comment at all.

Last edited:

SusieT

Visit site
'And I still stand by it, I'm sorry there is no WAY I would entertain keeping a child like that, It' sounds like Vicious little thug. My Opinion if you don't like it scroll on.'

What would you do with this four year old child? Put it in prison for the next 80-90 years based on childish impulses? Or provide stability and education on how to behave in normal society? As I'm not sure what you think the options are if no family takes the child in...

tiga71

Visit site
'And I still stand by it, I'm sorry there is no WAY I would entertain keeping a child like that, It' sounds like Vicious little thug. My Opinion if you don't like it scroll on.'

What kind of life do you think a 4 year old being placed into an adoptive home has had? No one from a loving family could imagine the horrors he may have lived through. And even if he has had nothing horrendous done to him, he will certainly have experienced a huge amount of disruption, loss, instability, lack of love and care and general unhappiness; more than any little boy should have to shoulder.

It's very sad that the dog needs to be rehomed but good on the adoptive parents for signing up for the very tough job of helping this little boy find stability, learn about love and have a future.