Advice - dressage test, 1st event

blackhor2e

Visit site
Hi All,

Me and my horse have our first one day event (as a combination) at Somerford next week. I am getting rather worried at the moment as at the sight of grass he is exploding - not dangerously or out of naughtiness just sheer excitment and I have learnt to handle this by letting him canter and not arguing about the behaviour just sitting through it.

Eventually he does quieten down, but I mean a good knackering 30 mins into the sillyness he relaxes his frame and starts to listen. For this upcoming event I am trying to take it as more of a test run to see what happens, but does anyone have any horse that is similar to this, how do you warm them up and contain the giddyness, frequency of squeaking noises and explosions :rolleyes:

I shall of course do a report next week for your pleasure :)

be positive

Visit site
At an early event you will not be the only one having problems with high spirits, for many horses it will be the first time doing any work, dressage type work anyway, on grass since last year so don't worry too much.

Without knowing your horse I would suggest walking round on a long rein, round the lorry park if it is safer, then once he is loosened up enough to do more find a quiet place to just canter in light seat until he has expended the excess energy and silliness, then bring back to walk and start a proper warmup as you usually would, hopefully if he will then be able to relax and work for you without the need for explosions.

doratheexplorer

Visit site
If I were you I would try to arrive very early and hop on board straight away with out studding up etc and go for a mooch round the lorry park and dressage warm up, just for 20 mins or so. Then put him back on the lorry to eat some hay and relax, then allow plenty of time to warm up for dressage! You will certainly not be the only one experiencing some airs above ground and movements not required during a dressage test!!

Remember to breathe and SMILE!

Firewell

Visit site
If it's in a big field I'd ask if you could lunge away in a safe corner away from everyone. You def won't be the only one in this situation so don't worry! My horse went NUTs on the lunge at our first ever BE and noone battered an eyelid. I got on after 20 odd mins and he was an angel after that :).

Nicnac

Visit site
Did a XC clinic a couple of weeks ago with established eventer. My boy, a youngster, had his eyes on stalks; was snorting and threatening to bu**er off with me - sheer excitement which of course made me tense up and forget to breathe (I'm old!)

Her advice - as soon as you get on - make him understand he's there to do a job. Don't do all the nambypambying walking round on a loose rein etc (which is exactly what I was doing as always thought that was the right thing).

She said : start to properly work him immediately you get on and lunge before if he's lit up so he understands as soon as you get on, the job starts. She also said pros know that it's their neck on the line if horse bu**ers about so need to get horse to understand concept of rider=work.

Good advice I think and has made me re-evaluate my approach.

blackhor2e

Visit site
Thank you so much for all the comments, I really appreciate it. So the consensus seems to be that I should get on as early as possible and give him a walk/mooch around the lorry park or just an extra ride before the Dressage warmup. I live close by so I can get there early, I will probably be on my own at this event as not got a very horsey family so if anybody sees a blonde girl on a black horse doing airs above ground you'll know who it is and I apologise in advance :)