Advice for a first timer...

First Time Mum

Visit site
accept that you will be sleep deprived - book time off work I stayed up watching the CCTV with my mare all night and then slept from 6am till midday
You can guarantee that the 30 minutes sleep you get they will foal.
It the best expereince ever!!!

turkana

Visit site
accept that you will be sleep deprived - book time off work I stayed up watching the CCTV with my mare all night and then slept from 6am till midday
You can guarantee that the 30 minutes sleep you get they will foal.
It the best expereince ever!!!

I've never bred from my mares but I've heard this many times from people who have.

A few years ago I was walking my dogs along the footpath behind a local yard at about 6.30am, I could see something was going on as the horses were running about, so I had a look & a foal was being born! I knew the groom so I knocked on her door - she couldn't believe it, they'd been up all night with the mare & had decided that nothing was going to happen so they'd put her out with her friends about 1/2 hour before I knocked on the door.

Shame for them as they missed it all but it was a lovely start of the day for me, the owner also gave me a bottle of expensive bubbly as a thank you for alerting them.

Scarlett

Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

My mare is at home now, happily settled back in with my other horses, she's totally settled, eating well and her belly is growing by the day.

Writing my foaling kit list as I type and reading as many threads as I can!

Good luck to all the other first time expectant 'mothers' too :)