Advice for a showing numpty?

Nudibranch

Visit site
I have a rough collie from good lines although we bought her as a pet. Her siblings are successful show dogs and the breeder said we should show her. Crufts has inspired me a little bit, but I honestly am clueless.
Are there lower level shows we could aim for? Can it be done without massive commitment and spending a fortune? Or is it the kind of thing you need to join a club to do? Can a total novice turn out a dog properly? So many owners seem to use a professional to show their dogs. I've been showing horses on and off since 1990 but the dog showing world seems to be a completely different kettle of fish.

ponyparty

Visit site
See if you can find a local ringcraft class, that’s your best bet for getting lots of practice and knowledge about showing.
I did a bit of showing with my dog as a youngster; his ears never came right and he was becoming a handful entire dog I had him neutered and retired him to being a pet.
I found showing fun! I didn’t have to do any grooming etc though as my dog is short haired (Manchester Terrier).
You don’t have to join a club, there are plenty of small local shows (around by me anyway) through the various breed clubs and others. I get confused about how it all works with qualifying etc but I’m sure you’d get the hang esp of used to showing horses.
The biggest thing is, stop getting you dog to “sit”. You never want them sitting at a show, always standing! And make sure they are REALLY, absolutely fine with being handled all over, esp by strangers. Get your guests to run their hands over your dog, check teeth and ears etc to get them used to it.
Good luck and enjoy ?

satinbaze

Visit site
There are various levels of shows. Companion &fun shows are enter on the day shows often held in aid of charity. They usually have pedigree classes a rough collie would be in AV pastoral or AV non sporting. Fun shows also have “fun” classes such as appealing eyes, waggy tail.
then there are limited shows which the dog has to be KC registered and you enter gin advance, these are normally limited to members of a specific club.
Open shows have classes for different breeds so in rough collies you would probably have puppy (6-12 Months) junior (12-18months) post graduate and open. Open shows are entered in advance and dogs must be KC registered.
championship shows are the highest level. Certain classes are crufts qualifiers for those placed in the first 3 and if challenge certificates are on offer this is where champions are made.
Most schedules for open and champ shows are online at fossedata and highampress.
Attending ring craft is a good idea as they will help you to present your dog correctly and also how to enter shows. If your breeder shows them seek their advice and help.
Have fun