Advice for Horse that won't travel

Eventer1104

Visit site
Looking for advice for how to help my horse who wont travel. (No issue with loading, only travelling)
He was diagnosed with bone spavin 5 years ago and on his journey home from the vets he got very distressed in the trailer after spending a week in the stable (which he wasn't used to). Prior to this he travelled with absolutely no issue all around the country, but since this incident he absolutely will not stand in a moving trailer as he just tries throws himself to the ground and gets all worked up. He has absolutely no issue going into the trailer- he will walk himself in. He will also stand inside the trailer with all doors shut, it is simply that the second the wheels begin to turn he throws himself against the partition and panics. Once the car stops, he calms down and will walk himself back into the trailer.
Has anyone had any experiences with a horse who behaves like this? Any and all advice will be much appreciated, I really cannot continue to have a horse who can't leave the yard.
TIA

sollimum

Visit site
Have you tried without the partition?
I was about to say the same. I know my cob had problems travelling before he was diagnosed with hock arthritis so I took the partition out so he could balance himself. He can now manage with it in but has had both SI and hocks injected.

Eventer1104

Visit site
I was about to say the same. I know my cob had problems travelling before he was diagnosed with hock arthritis so I took the partition out so he could balance himself. He can now manage with it in but has had both SI and hocks injected.
Have you tried without the partition?

I haven't tried this as worried he might actually manage to get himself to the ground then get stuck? We did use to have a horse who only travelled without a partition but due to how much current horse panics I would be concerned about the safety of this? Think perhaps we may just need to risk this and try it as a next step

sollimum

Visit site
I guess at the moment he feels trapped in a small space and knows he is going to have travel/ balance standing which must be terrifying. How big is he, if he fell to the ground in a panic in a trailer, he should have room but I think that depends on the size of your trailer and him and I totally understand you do not want him to get hurt? Have you looked at getting a natural horsemanship person out to help?

Just read your post again - he is panicking because he doesn't have room to balance. He must have been stiff from being in the stable for so long.

Last edited:

Eventer1104

Visit site
I guess at the moment he feels trapped in a small space and knows he is going to have travel/ balance standing which must be terrifying. How big is he, if he fell to the ground in a panic in a trailer, he should have room but I think that depends on the size of your trailer and him and I totally understand you do not want him to get hurt? Have you looked at getting a natural horsemanship person out to help?

Just read your post again - he is panicking because he doesn't have room to balance. He must have been stiff from being in the stable for so long.

Yes he was definitely stiff and quite sore then. The issue was he had a small front leg injury which meant he needed to be stabled for it to heal but unfortunately this was not good for his spavin. I feel the whole experience of this injury and being at the vets did have a impact on him mentally as it made him a far more nervy, and anxious horse than he had been before sadly.

Do you have any suggestions for how to travel him without the partition? I only ever tied my pervious horse up at one side as he was a fantastic traveller as long as he didn't have a partition. Should he be tied to both sides of the trailer and vet suggested slight sedation to stop him immediately panicking?

sollimum

Visit site
I tie my cob with two ropes. So essentially cross tied and positioned in the centre of the trailer but not too tiightly. This enables him to swing into his preferred position - which is diagonally across the trailer. I would chat it through with your vet, that sounds like a good idea, I guess you don't want him too sedated. Also if he loads in without the partition maybe he need a hay net and some time in there to get himself sorted and realise he has more space before you try a very short trip?

Maxidoodle

Visit site
I would definitely take the partition out and cross tie, I’ve seen a lot of horses travel better without the partition. When I travel my minis loose and when you watch them, they never stand straight, they always get themselves at an angle, so I assume it’s a much easier way for them to balance.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Partition out, cross tie and initially just move the trailer a couple of feet and stop, if he settles try slightly further and build up from there.

This. I'd do little increases, from just starting engine and turning off again.

I'd try and stay away from sedation if you can, as it can open a whole new can of worms. Some can panic more when sedated which causes them to be rather uncoordinated and more if they fight it.

mustardsmum

Visit site
Another to say no partition. Our mare with hock arthritis became like this - she’d scrabble up the walls, and after going down in the box one day, we took the partition out. But we were also struggling to load her so ended up getting vet as some ridden work was showing signs of discomfort. Hocks treated and she returned to travelling but I decided she needed the space to find a position that worked for her. She travelled diagonally in cross ties for years without a single issue.

I’d start walking him through with no partition, feed him in there and do tiny trips. I know you don’t have an issue loading but the nicer the experience is of being in the trailer even not moving will help him when you finally set off.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Going slightly against the grain here but have you tried this horse on a lorry? Appreciate you may not have access to one? My tricky traveller is so much better with the stability of a lorry- having stood in the back of both, trailers are very bumpy and rattly and if there are still niggles, a trailer will find them.

I worked with a transporter to overcome difficulties with mine and it’s been a god send.

planete

Visit site
Not much help as you have a trailer but I now have to travel Woody loose in a stallion box with the partition removed. He was a good traveller until he spent two days at an equine hospital for loss of performance tests and had a major panick attack in the lorry back. We also put hay loose on the floor so he can put his head down to balance if he needs to.

ponynutz

Visit site
Going slightly against the grain here but have you tried this horse on a lorry? Appreciate you may not have access to one? My tricky traveller is so much better with the stability of a lorry- having stood in the back of both, trailers are very bumpy and rattly and if there are still niggles, a trailer will find them.

I worked with a transporter to overcome difficulties with mine and it’s been a god send.

I also had one who loved a lorry but hated a trailer.

sportsmansB

Visit site
My retired boy wouldn't travel in a trailer at all, he wrecked it - but was perfect (literally wouldn't have known he was there) in anything from a 3.5t to a big lorry so its definitely worth trying

Can you borrow / hire a rear facing trailer to see if he prefers that?