Advice for hunting newbies

MrWoof

Visit site
heya iv just moved from neath to carmarthen how can i get details of the hunts around there? because i dont really want 2 be travellin back for the banwen hunt x

Considering that The Banwen and The Carmarthenshire are adjacent Packs - I don't think that is a seriously difficult question really. The Llandeilo Farmers are also an adjacent Pack to The Banwen (please correct me if I am wrong).

Also, one of current Carmarthenshire Masters used to hunt with The Banwen.

abhishek

New User
Visit site
Making sure you purchase a hunting blow guns that is right for you is just as important as remembering to renew your hunting

license. Here are a few tips to help you might the right selection.

First, it is important to try on the hunting blow guns. Most people to get this, but they leave out one important thing. If

you are planning on wearing the hunting blow guns with thick thermal socks, make sure you are wearing the socks when you slip

on a hunting blow guns that has caught your eye. Hunting is not something one does for an hour or so and then calls it a day.

You want to make sure that any hunting blow guns you pick is going to provide a comfortable fit for many hours at a time.

Next, how is the construction of the hunting blow guns? Depending on the weather conditions, there may be some various in

just exactly what you need in a hunting blow guns. If your hunting is going to take you mainly through rough but dry terrain,

then you can be less concerned about how water tight the hunting blow guns happens to be. On the other hand, hunting in

marshes, swamps and other areas where water is plentiful demands that you have a hunting blow guns that is going to keep your

feet dry.

If you enjoy diverse types of hunting, you may want to keep a hunting

<ahref="http://www.weapons-universe.com/Archery/Bows/Crossbows.shtml" blow gun </a> set for various kinds of hunting. As

an example, you would have a hunting blow guns set for deer hunting, where you would be mainly on dry land, and a separate

hunting blow guns set for hunting duck or other water fowl.

Last, what type of upkeep will be required to keep the hunting blow guns is usable condition? Here, the type of material may

come into play. As an example, certain materials would be very hard to maintain if you are going to be dredging through a lot

of water or mud. Make sure you understand what you are getting into with upkeep before you buy anything. There is no point in

wasting money on something you will use one time and then have to discard, simply because you do not have the time or

inclination to care for the hunting blow guns set properly.

Obtaining the right hunting blow guns is not difficult. By following a few simple guidelines you can purchase a hunting blow

guns that will last for several years.

Marinawilson

New User
Visit site
It is good to be a member to go out on the hunt ride out as they will help you a lot. But as I am experienced hunter, i don't take their help but I used to take a good gun with me.

Scratchline

Visit site
You shouldnt go hunting.

We have enslaved the rest of animal creation and have treated our
distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they
were to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human
form. - William Ralph Inge

EAST KENT

Visit site
Sometimes the most benign horse suddenly goes into orbit at it`s first experience out hunting,and it takes several outings till it calms down;one of mine ,fortunately not while I was on it,did a vertical take-off over a hedge into a garden pond.At the time he was supposed to be quietly standing while hounds drew a nearby covert.

Kayfm

Visit site
Does anyone know of the best hunt for newbie me. Im in the london area. How far would I have to go. Would they look after a hunt newbie ! Ta

polly1976

Visit site
New Horse and New Rider - I have a rising 6 year old, owned for a few months. Been told he hunted as a 4 year old in Ireland, but i never have. Bit worried about going out for the first time - some hunts locally say you can go around the fences and they are small, but still nervous about what to expect. I am planning on a few sponsored rides etc in the spring to get used to 'open countryside'. Loads of Q's pop into head though. Will i need stronger bit etc. I'm based in Sussex - does anyone join any of the local hunts here?
Read the advice posted before and very helpful (even the PVC pants lol)

LuckyRed

Visit site
Before I went hunting for the first time I took my boy to hunt rides, fun rides, endurance rides and finally on hound fittening exercise rides with the hunt master - our hunt don't charge to go out with them on exercise rides and nothing quite prepares a horse for controlling itself at a meet that having 15 couple of hounds coming charging out of their kennels all excited about going out for 2 hrs exercise!

Then - when you're happy that you and your horse can manage all those scenarios, go to cubbing / early morning training meets at the beginning of the season - usually a smaller field and shorter lines with maybe a total time out of about half the duration of a full meet!

Fauvea

Visit site
Sorry if questions sound silly, but I've never hunted and I'm a foreigner.
Is there a hunt near Oxford (would prefer East Oxford)?
Do some people hack out to go hunting or do you have to trailer your horse?
Would that be acceptable to go without a jacket the first time I go hunting or to hunt ride or is that considered unpolite?

BeBopTalulah

Visit site
You shouldnt go hunting.

We have enslaved the rest of animal creation and have treated our
distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they
were to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human
form. - William Ralph Inge

So how do you suppose we control the populations of said cousins in fur and feather?

merlin&brigit<3

Visit site
I'm thinking of joining the old surrey and burstow hunt (as a total newb) but my 6yo cob is still in training and I'm not sure if he'll be ready for the season in time. I don't want to undo all the work!! He's really spooky,hot nad still green as grass

Just wondering can you hire hunters in my area? Anyone around know? I'm 13 so not a 17.3hh but just a sane pony that can show me the ropes.

Also are we newbs shunned?? thanks all xx

JenHunt

Visit site
most hunts are very friendly m&b, and newcomers are readily welcomed! - I would advise that you speak to your local hunt secretary - they should be able to advise on quieter days that might be suitable for your horse, or where you can hire horses from.

JenHunt

Visit site
Sorry if questions sound silly, but I've never hunted and I'm a foreigner.
Is there a hunt near Oxford (would prefer East Oxford)?
Do some people hack out to go hunting or do you have to trailer your horse?
Would that be acceptable to go without a jacket the first time I go hunting or to hunt ride or is that considered unpolite?

I hack to as many meets as possible as it's much easier for me! (and I hate driving the trailer!)

Look on the MFHA website to find your local hunt!

generally it is polite to get as close to the correct dress as you can, but if you don't have a show jacket or hunting jacket then speak to the hunt secretary and explain that you don't have one and ask what they would suggest you wear instead.

Shoei

Visit site
As someone who hunts and someone who hosts I would like to remind everyone that good manners are a must. It only takes one persons bad manners to engrain a bad impression on other peoples minds! I am in a constant battle to persuade my family to keep allowing the hunt through our land as 'they don't behave how they used to be'. This is due in the main to a minority of people being extremely disrespectful, deciding because 'the hunt came through last week I can ride through on my own' or when they have had enough the odd individual riding in the opposit direction across a drilled field and through our garden!!!

These are in the minority but unfortunatly hunting does sometimes receive a bad press so a big smile, good morning and a thank you, especially to people on the ground will go along way so just let it show how much you are enjoying it :D

I am yet to meet a person who has not enjoyed a hunt no matter how terrified you are in the run up.

And to that ignorant person who wanted to protect the 'little furries', unfortunatly we only host blood hounds and are currently overrun with foxes taking our poltury and they have savaged one cat and killed another. BRING BACK HUNTING

brown tack

Visit site
When I go hunting I fill my jacket pockets with sweets/chocolate and bribe other hunt members for home made cherry brandy, I'm very popular with the local hunt :D

Fiagai

Visit site
Buy a rugged water resistant mobile phone with a GPS tracking facility - at least that way they might find you...:D

Fauvea

Visit site
Thanks JenHunt and crazyhorse2010, I've now got a nice black jacket (Birthday present from my mom :)), now just have to persuade my hacking buddy to go hunting with me.

Olivia16

Visit site
What do I do if my new horse gets excited out hunting? I don't know if he has ever been hunting. When I brought him to a show he got really excited and I'm afraid he will do the same out hunting. What do you think I should do if he does??:confused:

Bernster

Visit site
What do I do if my new horse gets excited out hunting? I don't know if he has ever been hunting. When I brought him to a show he got really excited and I'm afraid he will do the same out hunting. What do you think I should do if he does??:confused:

I'm not a seasoned hunter but the basic rule for a newbie/uncertain horse is tie a green ribbon on it's tail, keep at the back of the field and perhaps let the Sec know, or ask for a guide/mentor, if you are feeling in need of help. And use a stronger bit/martingale or neck strap if you have any worries about brakes!

Autumn hunting is a slightly less energetic way to start and can be good for horses new to hunting, and going on sponsored rides or group hacks to see how they behave in company. That said, nothing can quite prepare you or the horse for the rush that is a proper hunt. Expect to have your arms pulled out of their sockets for the first 30 mins at least. My horse is a reliable plod most of the time and he pulls like a train until the after the first gallop :) Enjoy !!

Bella25

New User
Visit site
HELP PLEASE SOMEONE!! I'm 25 and have been learing to ride for just over 2 years and live in West Sussex, Nr Eastgrinstead.

I have never hunted before and actually (sadly!) don't as of yet own my own horse either. I wanted to go along to a meet on foot (even though I know I will be insanly jealous of those on horse back! :O ) just to get a feel of the atmosphere and see what its all about and get to know some like minded people.

The problem is that none of my freinds have anything to do with horses (Moast are afraid of them!) or like hunting and so definitely would not want to go with me...

I would feel terribly embarrassed just showing up on my own and hanging about like a spare wheel...

What can I do?..

LaurenM

Visit site
I've never ventured into the hunting page until now and I'm glad that I have now! May be going hunting for the first time on Saturday and feel a little more reassured! :)

Herne

Visit site
HELP PLEASE SOMEONE!! I'm 25 and have been learing to ride for just over 2 years and live in West Sussex, Nr Eastgrinstead....What can I do?..

Hi, Bella,

I'd suggest you repost this as a seperate topic in the Forum, named "Hunting in West Sussex" or something like that.

The trouble with this topic, being stuck at the top, is that it's easy to overlook, so loads of people who might help you won't have seen it.

olop

Visit site
Wonder if anyone could help me - I am keen to get my boy out hunting but do not have the bottle to do it myself (he is VERY keen!!) He has seen the hunt in the bottom of my fields & on the 2 occasions they have been past he has jumped out & tried to chase after them to join them :eek: I am looking to try to de-sensitise him & if he gets less excited, eventually take him myself.

I am based in Essex & could get him to most of the local hunts. I have e-mailed the secretary (of our local hunt) but so far no response, does anyone know anybody that would perhaps take him a few times for me??

He is very fit & will jump anything.

You can PM me if you prefer.

meesha

Visit site
May be worth trying to contact secretary of local hunt and explaining what you are after - they may know of a member of the hunt staff or an experienced huntsman who may be willing to take your chap out for you for a price - if he is also jumping out good idea to let the secretary know so that they can be aware who the loose horse belongs to when it joins them for the day.

Good luck x