advice for napping

Olly's crew

Visit site
I have recently bought our Olly, who is showing a tendancy to nap at times when out alone on a hack (he is fine when in company). He is 4 years old. Any advice would be appreciated, he was fine today once we had got the first road out of the way, but we must have looked a sight!

Olly's crew

Visit site
Thanks for that link; interesting stuff and having got back from todays hack where he has behaved really well, I can vouch for the singing continuously (am afraid my repetoire included Teddy bears picnic and 'I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts' ), along with staying calm and leg on after a few moments :) We only had one episode of going in reverse triggered by a scary plastic cup!

Will be taking him out much more now so he can get used to the big World.:D

Crazydancer

Visit site
Thanks for that link from me too - just read it through and reassures me that I'm heading the right way with my young mare. I've never had a nappy horse before, my old lad was always very forward going!
I have to cut her some slack as she is quite young, and I don't think she has seen much of life, so it's all a learning curve. Our recent downfall was a huge puddle (lake?) right across the road and she flat refused to go through, even when I got off and tried to lead her. I had tried the aggressive method, riding forward hard, using stick and legs, but she ignored me to start, then got flustered, so I stopped. Our hacking buddy had already gone through, in the end she rode back to us and we did go through together, with my mare almost on top of hers, which suggests a lack of confidence to me.
We have now improved hugely in the reaction to killer cows, and shape-shifting sheep (we even had a 'moment' next to an empty field where a sheep had been in last time!!) and horse-eating boulders......:rolleyes:
But her 'default' setting whenever she is worried is 'plant'. I am just giving her a minute, reassuring her, a tickle with the stick to remind her to listen, then touch forward with the legs, and she generally will go on, with plenty of praise when she does.
Today I rode her on her own for the first time - only 1/4 mile back from the comp venue down the road, but we did it. And with only one short stop. :):)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm glad the link was helpful. :)

I was in a bit of a rush, so didn't have time to type a long reply - maybe that worked out for the best. :D ;)

Well done to both of you on your successful hacks.

muff747

Visit site
I do think staying calm and just giving them time to look when everything is new works to build up their confidence when learning to hack out alone.
If we make a big fuss and try to force the issue, it only serves as a reminder next time you go out that it is a scary-sometimes hurtful place out there. They leave their field/stable behind where they feel safe and comfortable and it's our job to get them to feel safe/comfortable when they go outside.
When I first got my horse 17 years ago, I got flu within the first fortnight and so the YO took him out on a hack with my daugther on her pony. She told me later, when they got to bridge over the canal, the YO whacked him several times to get him over it. In all the years after that, he always spooked when going over that bridge, due to his bad memories.
Gentleness with firmness and praise, and building trust gets you a confident horse/pony.