Advice for stiff pony

Limbo1

Visit site
We have a brilliant pony on loan, they perfect fit for my extremely nervous daughter. She has still hocks. I have had her on turmeric and she has wintered well. Stillness usually working off even on those cold wet days. Recently she has started Being funny about picking up one back leg in particular and is a lot stiffer. I am assuming the hard ground has made her more uncomfortable.
Any suggestions to help her?
Not letting my daughter jump at present to take that pressure off. Bit concerned as she is ment to be going to pc camp in July.

noblesteed

Visit site
My gelding has hock arthritis and I give him devils claw when his hocks are stiff. It's a natural painkiller but it definitely works for him. Better check if it's ok to compete on devils claw though!

Limbo1

Visit site
My gelding has hock arthritis and I give him devils claw when his hocks are stiff. It's a natural painkiller but it definitely works for him. Better check if it's ok to compete on devils claw though!

Thanks have been giving it to her but just stopped as it coincided with her getting worse so want to discount it counteracting/reacting with the turmeric.

be positive

Visit site
Vet check, out as much as possible and bite.

This, except I think bite means bute, if the pony is obviously stiff in it's hind legs it is lame and in a certain amount of pain so requires some medical help and advice from a vet as to what you should be doing, jumping may be off limits and camp may be too much for her without some proper pain relief, herbs and turmeric work for some but they are not always effective.

0310Star

Visit site
My mares arthritis was always worse in summer with the hard ground and her putting on weight! You definitely need to get the vet, find out what's actually going on and go from there. I would also suggest bute to keep her comfortable and as much turnout as possible. Then once you know what's wrong, just alter your management of the pony to what works. Good luck!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
This sort of stuff can be managed and the ponies have a good life and carry on working. At some point the pony will need more then a supplement. Devil's claw is great as is turmeric. It could be time to chat with the owner and think about getting in the vet and doing a bute trial. Using bute/Danilon in conjunction with a supplement can really work. The pony would be more comfortable. The bute is not that expensive and while the vet will talk about liver damages etc etc etc most horses can take it long term quite happily. The work will extend the ponies life and keep it fit and the weight off and frankly, knowing most ponies, out of mischief!! My horse has been on bute/danilon for over eight years with no problems. The other option is to keep using the supplements and then change the work to suit, no jumping , only walk on hard ground, only trotting and cantering on a surface, or soft ground.

Limbo1

Visit site
How did the owner manage her? We have detailed instructions for our loan pony!

She is on 24hr turnout all year round that is all they have said. Daughter going to ride in school (soft ground) tonight and will see how well she loosens up then take a call on vet. I will probably speak to owner too. Until now her stiffness has not hindered her and is better with regular work- one reason she is on loan not a field ornament. Bute could be an option but not sure how they would feel about it or me for that matter. Bute to ride not sure. Typical just as summer hols are coming up no chance of finding a replacement before sept I would think.

be positive

Visit site
For me it is far better to use bute, if prescribed by the vet, than to use various supplements that may or may not work, it is no different to us using meds to ease the pain as long as it is not used inappropriately or in high quantities I have no issue if it works to keep a pony comfortable and allow it to lead a relatively useful happy life.

Limbo1

Visit site
Update. Vet came today says the pony still has a good range of movement. Has prescribed a weeks course of bute to see if that will make her more comfy. Then she is still able to do what she has been. Fingers crossed it works.