Advice from instructors please

herewego

Visit site
I am a BHS reg AI and teach freelance. I have been approached by a riding school to do some part time instructing. I have no idea what to charge an hour ? For my freelance instructing I charge £25 an hour which includes travel with in 15 miles. I realize I will not be paid this teaching at a riding school , but just have no idea what to ask for. Please pm me if not happy to comment on this forum. Thanks in advance :)

Starzaan

Visit site
We pay freelance instructors £10 an hour for teaching. This is normally a full day of teaching from 10 - 7 with an hours break for lunch though, so does add up.

I think that is fairly realistic and typical of other riding schools too.

3bh

Visit site
I've been paid from £10 to £15. The less the hours the higher the price.

I spoilt mine! I pay £17.50 per hour for BHSAIs, and £10 for BHSPTT. Teaching groups of 4-6 children, no private lessons as I do these myself. (I'm a BHSII)

They teach between 2 and 6 hours a day, repeated a couple of days a week.

I think this fairly reflects what they have invested into their own training and development and what they are worth to me. Also its closer to what they could be earning per hour freelance, as all have successful independent coaching and grooming businesses too. It is more than our competitors pay but it secures me regular, keen, popular instructors that work for me for years and years, ensuring continuity for my clients etc!

(ETA Midlands, BHS Approved centre for more than 25 years, if that is relevant info too!)

Last edited:

Aspire

Visit site
I get £10 per hour if I work for our local riding school usually doing dressage specific clinic prior to their in-house competitions. I am UKCC level 2 and BD listed judge. It is less than I earn teaching privately, but since I naturally prioritise my private clients I ensure that the clinics are booked on days which don't impact on this.

chaps89

Visit site
£10 an hour here too, though on a Sunday she usually slips us an extra tenner. A Saturday is usually 10-4 in winter, 10-5 in summer, Sundays usually 10-2 or 3. Rare to get a break on a Sunday, usually get at least half hour if not an hour paid break on a Saturday.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I am a BHS reg AI and teach freelance. I have been approached by a riding school to do some part time instructing. I have no idea what to charge an hour ? For my freelance instructing I charge £25 an hour which includes travel with in 15 miles. I realize I will not be paid this teaching at a riding school , but just have no idea what to ask for. Please pm me if not happy to comment on this forum. Thanks in advance :)

wow I am also a BHSAI and have a BHSAI classical dressage trainer school my mare, she charges £ 15 per half hour and she catches in and turns out and tacks up. I think we have got it cooshti don't you :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
wow I am also a BHSAI and have a BHSAI classical dressage trainer school my mare, she charges £ 15 per half hour and she catches in and turns out and tacks up. I think we have got it cooshti don't you :)

But shes charging you £30 an hour and OP is only charging £25 per hour.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
But shes charging you £30 an hour and OP is only charging £25 per hour.

Also she passes on Nicola Mc Given training to her customer's into dressage. Which is thought of highly

But how many others include the trainer - catching the horse in - picking it's feet out - schooling it - sponging it down- re, rugging it again and then turning it back out and putting tack away included in the cost's??

Last edited:

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Also she passes on Nicola Mc Given training to her customer's into dressage. Which is thought of highly

But how many others include the trainer - catching the horse in - picking it's feet out - schooling it - sponging it down- re, rugging it again and then turning it back out and putting tack away included in the cost's??

Probably being a bit dim here ... but why are you paying her to do all those things (within her hour/half hour or whatever) when you want her to ride your horse? Or does she tell it how to piaffe while she's doing up the girth?

Leo Walker

Visit site

Mine does if I'm not there.

herewego

Visit site
How long does the instructor actually ride then ? can only be about 15 mins if she does that long list of things :( seems expensive bit of schooling to me !!!!

Casey76

Visit site

My instructor does when she is schooling - even if it takes 30 mins to scrape the mud off, she only charges for riding time :)

Casey76

Visit site
30 minutes of scraping off mud?!?

Yep, my boy is a bit of a mud monster. My instructor know this. I don't know which days she rides, other than Mondays, so he goes out as normal. She fetches him from the field, grooms as needed, tacks up and rides, then showers/sponges, puts him back out.

Our agreement is that she rides him for 2 hours per week, but it is up to her do decide how that time is divided, 2 1 hour sessions, 4 30 min sessions, half and half. I pay her standard lesson fee which is 40€ per hour.

Hallo2012

Visit site
wow.....

there are a couple of client horses i will l tack up then rug up afterwards, and on the odd occasion i have caught in or turned out but i charge for the total time-if you want me to catch in, groom, ride, sponge off, rug and turn out and school for an hour you are going to be paying for 1 and 3/4 hours of my time!

i frequently ride 3 horses for the same owner,they are all in and clean but it takes me 15mins to swap from horse 1 to 2, and 2 to 3, so she ends up paying for an extra half hour.

similarly the person that wants to spend 15 mins putting poles or white boards out when i arrive will pay for that time or cut lesson short. my price per lesson is low to keep it all inclusive and i resent then being asked to do more for my small amount of money.

if your trainer is regularly doing extra she deserves paying IMO.