Advice gratefully received ref different bit?

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
hi
I wonder if I could get some advice please?
Our 17.2 gelding is developing a nasty habit of putting his head right down in canter and pulling for England. It is far worse when he's jumping (into the jump is fine - out of the jump head goes down and he pulls like a steam train).
We've had his teeth, back and feet all checked and all is absolutely fine.
I'm thinking we need him a stronger bit but could do with some advice as to a) whether that would help and b) best options to try.
I'm prepared to give anything a whirl as he is so strong even hubby is struggling to get his head up.
Help really appreciated.

Andelusional

Visit site
We have a rude 17hh and he goes nicely in a waterford snaffle as he cant get a good lean on it. We tried every dressage bit we own first but he is not competing so the waterford is the best compromise we have and he doesnt seem to mind it at all!

Patches

Visit site
Patches does this in canter when in a french link snaffle or a single jointed. She doesn't do it in a loose ring waterford though.

I know it's a stronger bit, but if you don't have to haul at them to keep control, you have kinder hands.

I've just bought a neue schule verbindend bit though and the results so far are quite promising in canter.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Some big horses really like a Pelham (you could use roundings if you don't want two reins).
Or you could try a Continental gag or another kind that raises rather than lowers the head.
Or, if you are brave, you could try him in a milder bit...as I've found this often works....something like a French Link or Dr Bristol might help....sounds odd I know....but maybe worth a try.
Waterfords do work initially, but I have found some horses collecting against them...
Hope this helps
S :)

the watcher

Visit site
A loose ring waterford broke the habit with mine..and learning to ride with slightly less contact so he had nothing to fight against..to the extent that now he can be ridden quite safely in a Myler snaffle (you would never have believed it if you could have seen him charging off a few months ao)