Advice: horse holding weight

Doesdressage1

Visit site
I moved to the states with my family 5 months ago and bought a horse 3 weeks after I arrived. She is a 6yr old 15.2hh Irish sports horse. She was in light work on grain and soya oil. She was massively overweight so as soon as I got her I took her off the soya oil and just fed ad lib hay and a small amount of hard feed. As time has gone on I have upped the hard feed to 3/4lb of a high fibre grain twice a day. Due to the hot summers and lack of rain we are now out of grass. They get turned out with round bales of good quality hay so she still munches all day.
To cut a long story short she keep dropping weight and looking Ribby. To completcate matters she is on full livery (my first time. I have done DIY for over 10yrs). Yard owner thinks she gets too warm under her rugs and that's why but I'm not convinced. She's clipped and and I don't want her getting cold as she's on the lighter side. She wears a lw between about 14-10 and then a mw until about 4 and then a heavyweight. Does anyone agree with YOs opinion or can suggest easy ways to keep on top of this. Back/teeth/vaccines/worming all up to date. Unfortunately us don't have haylage or any form of hifi product.

Thanks

Ella19

Visit site
Is she actually getting to the hay? My little mare dropped this summer and it was because there were two dominant mares hogging the hay and chasing the others off, my mare never got a look in!

Working on a livery yard here we have some horses clipped and naked at 8 degrees, some in mediums and some in sheets. The only way to check if she's hot is to feel her. Of she's eating hay she will be self heating from the inside so may be hotter than you think.

Theocat

Visit site
What work is she doing? I second checking how warm she is - mine is clipped and was sweaty ina MW at about 8 degrees this week, sp he's back in a rain sheet.

If she did well on soya oil before have you tried it again?

Last edited:

Doesdressage1

Visit site
Thank you for your response. She is getting hay in the field. When I go back in the evening to give her a fuss/ride she is always chomping away. She just shares with a 13.2 Icelandic pony.
She works 5/6 days a week with 1 jump, 1/2 hack, a lunge and the rest schooling. I go every eve to get her and ride or just put her to bed if I'm not. I always feel her under her pjs and she's fine. She always comes in at the right temp in her turnout. I went early one morning last week and it was -2. She was wearing a 300g amigo insulator with the neck and if anything she was a touch too cold.
I have been reluctant to try the soya oil as she was obese when I got her. If I was at home I would personally up her forage intake to as much as she could eat. Maybe replace some hay with haylage and feed her a high fibre hard feed with maybe some sugar beet or a small amount of cond cubes but can't find any of that here :(