advice i can give a total novice mother

madeleine1

Visit site
hi

i run a brownie group and one of my brownies is horse mad and her mum wants to get her a share which would be brilliant for the girl i think.
the girl is autistic and has tonnes of respect for animals
she is 8 years old if im remebering right
her mum however very wisely doesnt want to get her a share untill she knows more herself.
she has asked me if there is anything i can help her with and i wanted to start with a very basic and clear web page or site that lays out the rules and basics any ideas or tips

thanks

Polar Bear9

Visit site
Not a site but maybe you could recommend an own a pony day or week at a local riding school? That way they could both get more of an idea of what looking after a horse involves without the commitment. Alternatively the mother could look at doing the BHS Horse Owners certificate if she wants to learn more.

Chanoiaz

New User
Visit site
Hi,
I don't know of any websites sadly, however the best thing for that is to get her to join a local pony club! She'll learn to ride, get used to being around them and during holidays and weekends most riding schools do pony club weeks where you are responsible for a pony for a certain amount of time. Its great fun and a good way to make friends as well.
I did it as a child and it sparked off the passion I have and I haven't looked back since!

If not, PONY magazine is great! As much as Horse & Hound is brilliantly informative, PONY is good for younger audiences because it's more interactive and child friendly.

Good luck to her!x

BlairandAzria

Visit site
New rider website used to have loads of info on it! She could get in contact with her local RDA also if her daughter is autistic, they might be able to give some advice x

Shay

Visit site
The RDA are very helpful - but can be restrictive is the disability is relatively minor. What about the BHS website and possibly also the BHS owner's certificate? I have ponies for share I do not share to any child without the parent being competent - disability aside it is very sensible of the mother to want to know more.