Advice...i have a lazy mare!

jackbeauty

Visit site
Hi all
16.1hh Irish draft x Mare 12 yrs old
How do I wake up a plod in the school without using whip or spurs?

She is so much leg work! And wont go 'on her own' at all. I dont have a lot of history on her but im sure she was used in a riding school.

Ive tried putting her behind another horse which she responds to but she rushes & is clumsy, (tripping etc) & i spend most of the session controlling her speed so her head doesnt end up the other horses arse!
Even on the lunge u have to 'chase her up' all the time.
*Its got to the point where Im avoiding riding her or will hack out if others are.

Would having her professionally schooled help? Or is this gona be the way she is?

(Im a confident novice. bought her in August. I have weekly lessons with an instructor an hours drive away so cant take her. I have a girl riding her twice a week to get her fitness up. but she mostly does hacking around the farm)

Advice/ideas on this welcomed xxx

Syrah

Visit site
Why don't you want to use a whip?

When my mare has her lazy moments, one tap of the whip is all that is needed to back my leg up and she responds immediately after that.

Archiepoo

Visit site
schooling whips are designed for this exact problem,if your horse doesnt respond straight off your aid then a tap with the schooling whip will back up the aid. best thing to do would be get a good instructor to come to you and school her and also to have a lesson on her to make sure you are giving the aid in the correct place for this horse to understand what your asking.im sure it will all fall into place so enjoy :D:D:D:D:D

Auslander

Visit site
Why don't you want to use a whip?

When my mare has her lazy moments, one tap of the whip is all that is needed to back my leg up and she responds immediately after that.

+1. I would far rather give a horse a sharp tap with a schooling whip, than nag away with the leg until I'm exhausted and the horse is completely dead to the leg.

This situation always reminds me of parents who quietly say "Don't do that darling" like a broken record, while their child runs riot.

Someone needs to take charge and say "Right - this is how it's going to be". At the moment, it's your horse...

Blitzen

Visit site
Agree with Syrah, why not use a whip? Ask for her to trot on, for example, and iif she doesn't respond immediately then back up your leg/seat aids with the whip.
I don't recommend spurs though.
Can an instuctor not come to your yard to give you lessons on your own horse? It would be a good idea. X

be positive

Visit site
I would think lessons with her rather than on another horse would be more beneficial, and use a schooling whip to reinforce your legs, it seems that she is just ignoring you and needs to learn to work on her own.

scribble

Visit site
dont keep nagging her with your legs, as others have said schooling whips are for a reason. If she doesnt listen to you first time then ask again and if still nothing then back it up with your whip. lots of transitions to reinforce it. also you can try one big pony club kick and see if she responds to this. ensure she is being fed enough for the wokr she is doing, vary her work and dont let her follow someone round a school. ride on your own.