Advice if you can .......(shetland foal 4 months )

Holly27

Visit site
Hi Guys

well yesterday , went to barley in herts and bought a 4 month old Shetland colt manners to die for loves kids and hes chestnut with a star hes on,y 29 inches ( will make 36 inch max)
well its for my 3 yr old Xmas surprise present
here's the problem ....
hes living out with 5 Shetlands at the mo one is his mum but shes kicked him off and there both not bothered .. hes coming on the 20th DEC ... but hes going to be sharing a field with my sis pony who is 14 hh lovely temperament but we are bringing her in at night as off last night ... what will i do with the colt ? he cant stay in field on his own !
hasn't been stabled before
will he go mad ?
any advice needed pls !!! help I'm panicking now !!
also could he go in stabel with the pony or is that a no no

ive only had 16 hh horses so this seems out of my depth ! HELP

MizElz

Visit site
there's no real reason shetti cant stay on his own...they have to learn sometime! And he may charge around at first, but he'd soon learn to deal with it. My horse used to be a nightmare - other way round, mind you, she hated being kept in when the others all were turned out, but she learnt to live with it. She's now completely on her own, and is perfectly happy! I wouldnt advise putting them in the stable together, though if you could give him his own little indoor space, even a little shed, that would be another option for you.

Holly27

Visit site
i have plenty of stabels for him to go in on his own just the door is high and he wont be able to see over
frown.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Stable the shettie. he's only a baby so would be worse if he was left on his own.

We had a shettie who hadnt ben stabled before and he actually preferred being in where he could hear and smell the others to being out alone.

Why can't you leave the other pony out with him?

TBh if he goes mad he's hardly going to pull the stable down is he? so long as he has plenty of hay he probably wont care.

MizElz

Visit site
can you not modify the door? theres an equestrian centre near me who have lots of lovely boxes, but they have a shettie in the yard overlooking the collecting ring. they've cut the door down to his size, so that he can watch everything that goes on! If you didnt want to wreck the door, you could make a new one to fit, its easy to do! My OH made my door from scratch, a shetti size one wouldnt take much!

Holly27

Visit site
Thanks Christamas-kate i suppose he is so tiny it dosent matter the box is 12x12 it will seem like a field tehe
i would never leave him out on his own !

Holly27

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
can you not modify the door? theres an equestrian centre near me who have lots of lovely boxes, but they have a shettie in the yard overlooking the collecting ring. they've cut the door down to his size, so that he can watch everything that goes on! If you didnt want to wreck the door, you could make a new one to fit, its easy to do! My OH made my door from scratch, a shetti size one wouldnt take much!

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt think of that ! te he

becca114

Visit site
I think safety in numbers and he probably shouldn't be left out on his own. but on the other hand he would be on his own in the stable. So there probably wont be any difference between a stable(with a cut down door) or a secure paddock. I don't know what your yard is like but could he not be left to wonder around the yard at night when your other pony is in?
Or would it be an option to get another companion pony for him to be with?

D

Donkeymad

I would stable him too. What are your stables made from? Would it be possible to put a hole in the partition wall and fit a grid or something, so they can see/smell each other?

Happytohack

Visit site
I have two mini ponies. They are both stabled at night in individual stables with modified doors so they can see out. Please don't leave a young foal out at night on his own. Here is my shetland (he is 36 ins) in his stable with his little door
horses003.jpg

Holly27

Visit site
hi thanks guys ... i never said i was going to leave him out !! i was saying will he be OK in the stable !! i wish people would read my op

i posted as i was asking what to do i have more sense than to leave a four month foal in a field on its on te he .....

i will modify stable eventually Ive just had brand new loddon ones put in so IL get my thinking cap on .. for the moment he will have to make do being in the stable next door to pony
they have grills between but hes to short he he he will be able to smell and talk though
thanks for all your help!!
smile.gif

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
I would bring him in. I got Inky when he was 3 months old. he too was stabled and was fine as long as he could see the others. I have two now and they both have mini doors, its so much better. They also have a big hole in the wall between each other so they can peer in each others stable. Mine are both 29 inches-30 inches tall. ( the ponios not the doors!!! )

inkyeye044.jpg