Advice needed dressage legal bit

StellaArtois

Visit site
Any ideas please! I normally ride in a KK loose ring snaffle but she is a real big girl who falls onto the forehand and leans a lot. When I ride I use lots of transitions and lateral work to engage her behind and lift the forehand. I rode her a tonight in a loose ring waterford and she was brilliant, did the same warm up and there was no leaning she was much more responsive. I had a brilliant schooling session. I have a light hand as I know that a waterford bit can be harsh in heavy hands. I know that a bit isn't what encourages the horse to become balanced and engaged which in turn lifts the forehand but I was wondering if there was any bit that did help lift the shoulder and stop horses leaning that was dressage legal.
A pretty big wish list.
Thanks for reading

kerilli

Visit site
you can't get a proper contact with a waterford, the multiple joints mean that it's too mobile the mouth, so, basically... no.
which KK is yours? i'd try the one with the very small central joint, see how she likes that.
otherwise it's just back to lots of transitions etc etc.

MissSBird

Visit site
Our fell has a really chunky net and used to bare down a lot - my sister frequently found her arms really sore and cramped during and after riding. We did the transitions/schooling exercises obviously, but changing her to the NS Verbinand made a huge difference for us. It didn't cure the problem - only schooling did that - but it certainly helped and my sister no longer came off sore and stiff. It's dressage legal too :)

StellaArtois

Visit site
Yeah thank I know been working on loads of transitions was told to try a waterford a couple of times from an instructor to help her stop being so heavy.

She is just in a loose ring KK training bit jointed with a snaffle had thought about a neue schule verbindend but wasnt sure whether to go for a 12mm or 16mm thought 12mm might be too narrow.

katherine1975

Visit site
I recently went to a talk about neue schule bits, they said that their verbindend bit is good for horses that tend to be on the forehand and is dressage legal. I'm going to try one on my cob.

MissSBird

Visit site
Yeah thank I know been working on loads of transitions was told to try a waterford a couple of times from an instructor to help her stop being so heavy.

She is just in a loose ring KK training bit jointed with a snaffle had thought about a neue schule verbindend but wasnt sure whether to go for a 12mm or 16mm thought 12mm might be too narrow.

I can't honestly remember which one our girl was in - though my gut instinct says 16mm.