Advice Needed! Hormonal or Ulcers? Or just naughty?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Had her a year now, always was told and thought it was from being poorly treated and poorly fitting tack, plus she was unridden for 5 years before I had her, and also she's very "mareish" generally, but has recently got worse Symptoms. These are, Very girthy, hates being touched generally especially the belly area, struggles to use her back end (has poor topline), often reaches around to bite her stomach after food, is very aggressive around food, HATES being rugged, hates having the girth done up, and more recently has disliked the saddle (made to measure), started to dislike going into the trot (I've been told this is because trot makes the acid wash up onto any ulcers if there is any?) and she dislikes any "leg" on her sides. I have seen people across her saying to try Ranitidine for 3 days and if you see any vast improvement its ulcers which need treating. My instructors and everyone has always said its her being a naughty mare, but I'm beginning to think its something more serious! My vet physiotherapist has said she has no sore muscles. What do you think?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Many thanks. Its difficult because so many have said it cant be ulcers, never had colic and is fat on air, but her coat is "dull". Currently waiting for call back! Just thought I'd post for some opinions an if anyone had experiences with horses with ulcers :)

loopylucifer

Visit site
Mine went bit like this also used to get really bloated too. sensitive sides difficult girthing not wanting to trot etc. it was worse when she came into season but bloods showed hormone levels normal so then scoped and was clear. had 3 months out brought back in to work less sensitive until April time then started have erratic behaviour again kept a diary this time and every time the erratic behaviour was just before and just after a season so we treated the hormone side with inseminating peanut oil (don't ask but it works!) and she has been a different horse since still her but much more level no over reactive sensitivity.
But every horse is different and can show same symptoms for different problems talk to the vet, they should check for any other physical issues such as bilateral hindlimb lamness and can advise your best way forwards at least you are doing the right thing and listening to your horse :)

philamena

Visit site
Agree, it sounds pretty textbook. Any vet / professional suggesting horses need to be struggling to keep weight on or colicking in order to have ulcers needs to get up to date :) They're not really looking for those as "essential" symptoms any more, so many horses are fat, sleek and well looking and the signs are almost purely behavioural. My personal approach would be to scope as although lots of people get very rapid signs of improvement on a drug trial (either antacids or gastrogard) with my horse we'd have been convinced the trial showed that it wasn't ulcers causing it because it took her symptoms a looooong time to go. Some worry about the fasting before the scope encouraging ulcers or stress: my horse coped really well with it but some people prefer to try a drug trial. Just don't be convinced it's not ulcers if the symptoms don't go, and check with your insurance whether they'd pay for treatment without a scope if your vet recommended it. Good luck, there's loads of info if you do a search on old threads.

dixie

Visit site
Classic ulcer symptoms. Horses aren't bad like that for no reason.
My horse had grade 4 ulcers, also was on the plump side, glossy coat, fine to ride but displayed the symptoms you describe to brush off, saddle up and rugging.

philamena

Visit site
Classic ulcer symptoms. Horses aren't bad like that for no reason.
My horse had grade 4 ulcers, also was on the plump side, glossy coat, fine to ride but displayed the symptoms you describe to brush off, saddle up and rugging.

How is your horse now Dixie? Did you find something that worked for them?

smellsofhorse

Visit site
If vet and phsio says she is fine physically.
Then i would say could be hormones or ulcers!

The only way you will tell if for more investigations.

Start with a blood test.
The vet can scan her womb and scope for ulcers.

I hope you sort it out.

I feel there are no bad horses, there is normally something wrong, if not physically then past issues can could nastiness, but can still be over come by gentle handling.

fuzzle

Visit site
OMG!!!!!!!!! im going thew the same has you!!!! I thought mine was hormonal after going to vets it turned out to be ulcers mine got to the stage of leaping arching her back and biteing on top of what your horse does she cow kicked at your foot whwn slighly asking her to move forward !!!! please go and get it gastoscoped or least get a vet to check her, i never in a million years thought mine would have ulcers because she is a good doer and over weight so don t be mistaken these horses get them too!!! The treatment is expensive if she has ulcers and with the help from my vets i shopped around and got great deals which she is now on her 2nd week of medication i also been intouch with a company in the usa for a product to give to her and there sending me some free of charge for me to try. please let me know how you get on but please dont think she is naughty so many people kept saying to me she is naughty and im glad i didn t listen to them has she was in pain which brings out this horrid behaviour which becomes worse, mine had become dangerous to the point of been intears, please get in touch if you need to know more xx

wench

Visit site
It might possibly be hormonal, or more likely to be ulcers. Personally, I'd get her booked in for a scoping at the vets for ulcers, and ask them to scan her ovaries at the same time, and possibly do a blood test for kidney/liver function.

That way she's only going into the vets once, and by the time you've paid for the "consultation" fee, it doesn't cost a lot extra to add extra bits on. If she has bloods taken, that's one vet call out, and fee for taking the bloods. Get him out again, or take her in to have her ovaries scanned, more costs, and then finally take in for scope = more money.

If she goes in, I would also be tempted to ask for an xray of the spine as well, just to rule out kissing spines.