advice needed - lame mare

LaurenM

Visit site
Laurence, some great advice re keeping a poultice on whilst turned out. But 21 days poulticing is hugely excessive, not to mention potentially very damaging. Does your vet agree with doing it for this long.?

They said initially that it can take up to 11 days. She's lost the poultice a few times so it will slow the process. I'm calling them tomorrow to see if theres anything else they can suggest. They've already advised against antibiotics for the time being. No heat or swelling in the hoof/leg.

LaurenM

Visit site
Vet has advised dry poulticing and if not settled by Friday to call them out and they'll drain it. They've said to bathe it in salty warm water or bleach diluted in warm water. Just want it to be over with already!

LaurenM

Visit site
Farrier has been up again and has recommended 5 days dry poulticing. I was in work when he had a look and can't get hold of him but assume this means she's got rid of it? Any opinions?

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
If the abcess is still draining there will be a black stain on the poultice. Once it stops draining you can change to a dry one. You don't want a soggy foot. Its best to box rest at the early stage as you don't want to lose the poultice and get dirt int the hole. Get the farrier to show you how to find the digital pulse near the fetlock. You can tell a lot by that as it will be bounding and easy to find when the abcess is active because it causes congestion in the foot thus affecting the pulse.

horseriderdeb

Visit site
My shire has had a reoccuring abcess for a long time. I have now used something called well horse and their thrush off and its gone. He has now been out in the field since december with just the hole packed with cotton wool. Its fantastic stuff

LaurenM

Visit site
I had the all clear from him earlier. So happy!

He's advised 5 days dry poultice and will shoe her next Friday. He said he couldn't shoe her now as the shoe would encourage pressure on the abcess site and it will give it enough time to dry out. After the 5 days, he's said to use a barrier treatment such as Stockholm tar.

I've only had her a month and a half and hacked an amazing 5.5 times so it'll be nice to get out and about!

Thanks for all the advice.