Advice needed on renting out stables please

vicky1305

New User
Visit site
Hi, I have recently taken over the rent on a block of stables on a competition yard and am in two minds as to whether to take on liveries or try to find someone to share the rent with me on a diy basis. Does anyone know if I share the rent with others will this qualify as running a business? baring in mind I will not be making any money. Also is there a market for DIY competition horses anymore?
All suggestions/comments appreciated x

ISHmad

Visit site
If you take the money from them yourself then technically yes you are running a business. If they pay your YO directly and their contract is with the YO not you then no. If another friend joins you and you split the rent then if the contract with the owner is in joint names then again not that wouldn't count.

You can offset the cost of repairs, upkeep etc from any potential profit if it was ran as a business. You'd need to keep good records.

There's always people looking for livery so as long as the facilities were good and what people were looking for I doubt you'd have a problem getting new people.