Advice needed please-Do I clip for showing?

mastermax

Visit site
Hi I could really do with some advice regarding clipping and showing for this coming season. My coloured horse was clipped for normal riding last in December. Due to an injury he hasn't done a lot and has pretty much been roughed off, still in every night and washed and groomed but no "show" grooming. When he was last clipped his beautiful mahogany colour went to a dark brown and is only now showing signs of coming back. He has unfortunately despite very careful management got some mud fever on his thigh and tummy, no scabs, not sore just hair loss and it looks awful. The remains of any mud fever on his legs is now historical, clearing nicely and will cover great with some chalk.
My question is do I fully clip him out again to start again with his coat and clip out any of the blemishes and missing hair? or, is this totally going to ruin his appearance. At such a loss as to what to do as his first show is second week in April.
Many thanks in advance for your help.

mcnaughty

Visit site
Im not sure how clipping is going to help missing hair look better? Perhaps upload a photo? If you are looking for a tider appearance then the clipping will remove all the cat hairs. You could try giving him a hot wash with a bucket of hot as possible (so you can get your hand in!), dettol and a facecloth or small piece of towel. Dip in water, wring out excess, wip/rub over horse and repeat. Then you can do the same with a blob of olive oil in instead of the dettol. Clipping is not going to affect his summer coat so dont let anyone say that load of rubbish!

mastermax

Visit site
Many thanks for replies. Totally agree that clipping wont help the missing hair but it will make it easier to treat with an anti fungal shampoo. I think it is more to tidy him up and remove the cat hairs, fluffy legs and beard. I was more worried that it would spoil his summer coat but once clipped he will have a full neck rug, full neck and face turnout hood and paddock boots on. He already has a bib under his stable rug and wears wraps on his legs. Have just invested in a hot horse shower which is proving invaluable. I don't have a picture of the missing hair but this is him in his full summer coat.

mastermax

Visit site
Thank you only_me, he definitely has substantial bone!! I've had show cobs before that didn't have that much. He is a TBxDWB as well. I have only shown him in coloured classes up to now as last year was his first year showing but did take him into a show hunter class as a warm up once thinking he would come last and he won it! Then I felt guilty to all the other ladies that had turned up that day specifically to do show hunter.