Advice needed please

twiggy2

Visit site
As I have already said the lab is more than capable of removing herself from any unwanted attention. Please read other posts about their relationship as she is more like a therapy dog to him

I did read all other posts and I really don't envy you but I still don't think it is a situation I would be comfortable with, if you could supervise then great if not I still would rehome. I think you are a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Jaycee

Visit site
I did read all other posts and I really don't envy you but I still don't think it is a situation I would be comfortable with, if you could supervise then great if not I still would rehome. I think you are a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place.

His dog will be staying as she is his rock! I am more concerned about the older one in the meantime

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
Long shot but could you try and see if Dylan could be trained to accept a muzzle? and have it on when you can't focus on him? Would your son accept that the lab is "his" dog and Dylan is "yours"? (I am sorry if my suggestion seems idiotic, I have no experience of your situation)

My brother did have a similar situation when his toddlers started to grow up and his eldest Stafford started to lose his sight. The dog was elderly and on a diet due to his arthritis and my brother had to be really careful to keep the dog away when the boys were being fed. He put a small bell on his dogs collar as a reminder that the dog was around so they never forgot. The boys wanted to feed the dog, the dog couldn't always clearly see what was being offered with small fingers. This did work but of course, they only had certain times of the day when they had to be really careful and the dog was otherwise completely superb and tolerant.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Having had Labs for almost all of my life, including as a baby, I can see no reason to consider rehoming your Lab. They are generally very amenable and as you say, if they don't like a situation, will remove themselves from it. They also take their responsibilities very seriously.

I am not sure what I would do about the other dog in your situation, tbh, except possibly try to ensure that son and dog are never left alone together. If you can't take the dog with you can youtake your son into the other room with you when you leave the dog

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
What a dreadful situation to be in. I wouldn't put your elderly dog down for what he did, he was provoked. At the age of 15 I would consider it to maintain his quality of life. Muzzling or crating( I know you don't have room anyway) would not stop the problem but would perhaps make him feel more vulnerable as he couldn't get away or give a proper warning.