Advice needed re : buying horse

tubby1

Well-Known Member
Joined
4 August 2010
Messages
333
I'm so annoyed I went to see a horse last night , who is perfect for me . This was a second viewing & we had agreed a price at the last visit. I put a deposit down, got a receipt and arranged to pick her up next week. The person I dealt with was selling on behalf of someone else. So when I got home I got a text saying the price was as advertised which was £400 more than I agreed.
I'm so annoyed I can afford the full price but it will be a stretch & my OH says I should walk away. The thing is I have problems with my nerves & this horse ticked all the boxes didn't feel nervous at all when riding so that is huge for me. The horse also needs vacs restarted so that will be another £200 I will have to pay. Any suggestions what to do I get the feeling there is no negotiation in the price but I don't want to be taken for a mug :(
 

soulfull

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 July 2007
Messages
6,507
Location
Staffs
That is so not nice. Can you ask to speak to the owner?

You could call their bluff and say you just don't have any more. Then if you decide to buy the horse 'you've has to borrow the extra'

It may also be a warning sign that nothing they say can be trusted. Please make sure you have a 5stage vetting !!
 

TT55

Well-Known Member
Joined
10 November 2013
Messages
242
Location
London
If it was me, i'd walk away out of principle. Although, I know in practice, it's hard as you have your heart set on this horse.

I have a friend who a similar thing happened to. She viewed a horse, agreed to pay the asking price, got the horse vetted, then was told that the price was actually £300 more than they had agreed. She walked away and they then advertised the horse for even more money.

It's a sign of a dishonest seller in my opinion.
 

LadyRascasse

Well-Known Member
Joined
6 September 2008
Messages
5,263
Personally I would say sorry we agreed a price, I don't have anymore so unless you will sell for the price that was agreed then I won't be buying him/her. Out of interest did you get a receipt for the deposit? I ask as when I brought a horse they wrote on the receipt the outstanding balance, if you have this it is a form of contract so to speak.
 

tubby1

Well-Known Member
Joined
4 August 2010
Messages
333
My head says to walk away but my heart says otherwise. I did get a receipt for the deposit but It doesn't say the purchase price . I wouldn't mind compromising on price but I get the feeling there is no compromise I am going to phone the owner later
 

gembear

Well-Known Member
Joined
27 June 2013
Messages
399
Does sound like they're trying to take the P*** to be honest.
Clearly realized you really want the horse and are being greedy.
 

B&J

Well-Known Member
Joined
3 March 2014
Messages
445
If it were me I'd try to complete the sale to be honest, I've also struggled with nerves for a long time and horses suitable for that and tick every box aren't always easy to find.

I've bought the wrong horse once and it ended in totally shattered confidence where I couldn't even put a head collar on her let alone do anything with her. I sold her to a great home then bought a confidence giver and he has been totally amazing, its made up for all the expense I've had to pay out since having him but in the end to tack up on a sunny sunday morning and go ride my horse without the usual terror is priceless x
 
Joined
19 July 2010
Messages
22,615
You're just going to have to decide if you like the horse enough to pay the full price (if the owner wont budge). If that horse is 'the one' do you want to risk losing it for £400? You can easily spend that amount on petrol and a failed vetting if you have to keep searching.

I would be royally pissed that they've not stuck to the agreed price though and if I had any doubts about the horse, I'd be round to collect my deposit. They've broken the contract, not you, so the deposit should be returned if you don't go ahead.
 
Top