Advice needed.Tripping:(

Christmas Magic

Visit site
Hi everyone.Some thoughts or advice will be appreciated. Trouble is Magic tripping on his left fore.When we got him,he used to do it more,when ridden on the trot and when lunging. Sometimes he was tripping bad,5-6 times during the lesson,sometimes not at all.I been lunging him for last three days,and today we went for a hack.Trotting nicely,he suddenly tripped,and fell on both knees and nose.Got up really quick,little scratch on the knee,and my shuttered confidence:(Question is,what may be the reason?I know he is a bit unbalanced,but I'm working on it,he is getting fitter,his shoes ok for another 3 weeks,so what it may be?May it be the sign of something more serious, or nothing to worry about?Please,help with advice.

CHH

Visit site
Have a look at his conformation, front legs, shape/condition of his feet.

That's a good place to start, we had an ex racer with conformational issues who did exactly the same, and when you are describing.
I already knew he was over at the knee (bad on one leg than the other) and his hooves due to this were odd shapes.

He once almost did a headstand with me on in the trot in the arena not long after I got him (straight from racing), I'm grateful for having an independent seat as we remained together, he was obviously not at all fazed by what had just happened, I was in shock, but he just carried on with the trot as if it didn't happen.

He once did it on the tarmac road, grazed both his knees but otherwise OK.
I set about with my vet and farrier to sort his legs/shoes/feet out the best we could.

He was a 'freebie' horse and we ended up with some vet/remedial farrier expense more than my competition horse (this horse was meant to be a companion/happy hack!).

This work helped and he did eventually stop the tripping and we even managed a nice little flying change. I was always wary on him though!

Please be careful, I know how those 'trips' feel.

Christmas Magic

Visit site
Thanks for replays everyone.He shod normally every 5-6 weeks,his toes not long,farrier said he had the best front feet he ever saw.He wearing over reach boots every time he working,and they all holy now,i repaired them once,needs another patching:)He has windgalls on both front legs,maybe that's somehow connected?After having one broken horse,im terrified to have another:(
As about laminitis,im checking his legs/feet every day,its no heat,pulse or anything.

Last edited:

Christmas Magic

Visit site
I mentioned it i think,he said its early days and he is not very fit,so just watch him and see how he goes.I'll mention it next time of course,maybe he can do something.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I mentioned it i think,he said its early days and he is not very fit,so just watch him and see how he goes.I'll mention it next time of course,maybe he can do something.

I'd actually be inclined to pick up the phone - rather than waiting until he's next shod.

Damnation

Visit site
I'd actually be inclined to pick up the phone - rather than waiting until he's next shod.

Yes I would do this too. Some horses are on the forehand and do just trip, but you want to eliminate anything sinister.
If you farrier is anything like my last one he will b come out and have a look without a charge :)

Charlir666

Visit site
Wear knee boots when u hack.
I would get the farrier out first and then the vet If u need to. Mine is 6 and has always tripped and now is facing xrays, bone scans, joint blocks etc, not sure If this is connected.

Claire2010

Visit site
Just out of interest does he have front clips on his shoes. Only reason I asked is that my boy used to trip sometimes (althought not enough for me to be worried about it) I mentioned this to my farrier and he changed his shoes to have side clips. He said these improve circulation and reduce any strain on his tendons. He also said that by wearing these types of shoes helps with tripping? I may be way off the mark but worth speaking to your farrier about maybe??

Choccie

Visit site
Does he really need the over reach boots? I ask because i have seen a pony trip and tip off his rider and rip a big piece of rubber off his boots. I swear that was the cause. If he over reaches then perhaps the farrier can look at rolling his hind toes and setting the shoe back a bit. My pony started forging and the farrier did this to his hind shoes. He has also started tripping now but he's 17 and i think it is more age related wear & tear, but it has dramatically improved since he's had natural balance shoes on the front as well as the alterations on the hind shoes.

BigRed

Visit site
I would be very concerned that he trips so badly that he actually falls on his knees, because I do not accept that is because he is not fit. If I had a horse that was doing that, I would probably ask my vet to give it a check-over.

If it happened in the school, and it was deep etc, maybe, but on a road, and seeing how regularly he is shod, it is far from normal. I assume you don't let him slop along on a long rein ?

canteron

Visit site
I have a beautiful horse who at 4 was very prone to tripping. Now at 7 he has definitely changed shape and is more in charge of his legs and we are a huge amount better. Here are some of the things I have looked at on our journey ...

1) Is it a concentration thing? When I first got him took him to vet and lunged over rough ground. When distrated the horse slowed and tripped (Daisy cut, ie toe first)
2) Have worked very hard at getting horse going forward and off his forehand.
3) I have worked so hard at my position so it is as secure as I can make it (studied biomechnics)!
4) He went barefoot (he has great feet). Although not a total solution on its own, he does seem to be much more aware of his feet without shoes.

Assuming that he is young, there is a great chance that he will grow out of it - my horse is now 7 and was 4 when I got him. He has lost his 'gangly' look and is much more muscles and strong now. Also, I took the decision I wanted to stick with this horse (so glad I did he he lovelyl) and just took things very slowly to give him a chance to grow up while I really set out to study to be the best rider I could!!! It is an interesting journey and he has taught me so much by working through the tripping.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
I'd get him checked just in case it is something simple, such as his toes needing a trim, or something serious such as navicular disease.

Are you balanced in the way you are riding? If you tend to lean forwards it can put a lot of weight on the forehand and make the horse more likely to trip. Making sure you keep the horse's attention can also help.

I hate it when they trip, it can really eat away at your confidence.

bumblelion

Visit site
My tb used to trip, I changed his front shoes from toe clips to quarter clips and no more tripping! Seems to have balanced him out, 2 years on and still no tripping!!

Christmas Magic

Visit site
Thanks for replays everyone.He did it on the path,it was a bit muddy but nothing bad,he sometimes trip in school,sometimes not at all.He wears side clip shoes,as for over reach boots,farrier suggested it,he is not overreaching,he clipping his fronts together sometimes,,thats why.Im not very balanced,im working on it,but im not tipping forward,and he wasnt on long rein.I think he just slipped more because of muddy path.I dont know.I'll phone my farrier monday to ask if he can pop in and have a look.

Samantha008

Visit site
Defo get the vet out!!

If theres nothing wrong with his feet you need to be looking at this in more depth. Figure out the reason so you can act on it sooner rather than later :/

My mare tripped alot, then one hack she fell to her knees about 4 times in an hour!!! Next thing shes in hospital a diagnosed wobbler and 2 years field rest to boot :/

I dont mean to scare you, and im sure its nothing anywhere as serious as my poor girl but you do need to act on it :/

Good luck and let us know what happens :( I hope for you and your horses sake its nothing as serious as my mare :(

Tnavas

Visit site
Could he be stepping on his over reach boots and tripping himself up?

Things to discuss with your farrier.
Rolled toe shoes in front, these will help him with the breakover and should stop him tripping.
Set under shoes behind with quarter clips to reduce the over reaching.

Sometimes stumbling, especially just with one foot is a neck problem - 7th cervical vertebrae being out of alignment and pinching the nerve to the foreleg. A chiropractor should be able to help here.

Check fit of saddle, if too low and pressing on his wither may cause the horse to trip.

Camel

Visit site
I used to ride a gorgeous ID'y type, an absolute star, jumped, responsive ... but he tripped a lot! I got used to the tripping and loved riding him, until he just 'fell over' in trot on hack with me and I broke 2 ribs :( I rode him again but as someone described above it totally ate away at my confidence every time he tripped after that I would tense up - he fell again 3mths later with another rider, I haven't ridden him since then ;) I think he just has poor conformation, his front legs sort of turn inwards and nearly cross* when you watch him move

* very technical explanation lol!!

such a shame as he is an ace horse :(

xx

littlescallywag

Visit site
Havnt read all the replies so sorry if I repeat anything. My friends horse used to trip all the time , eventually hitting the deck 3 rides on the trot,and very obvious toe first landing,farrier said nothing was wrong, the horse was eventually diagnosed with deep central sulcus thrush in his frogs, you could get a hoof pick right into his frog and heel butts friend hadn't realised there was anything wrong with the frogs as her horse's frogs had always been the same since she had owned it . Started treating the frogs and 3 months in the horse isn't tripping anymore , landing more heel first and altogether is a lot happier. If you google deep sulcus thrush and look at the pics ,it may be what your horse has .

SusieT

Visit site
Forget the osteopath, take him down to the vet and get a workup done. They will be able to advise on potential causes as this is not normal and not safe for yourself. I would have kneeboots on him at all times now to protect him.

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
you defo need to speak to your farrier. I had the same problems. H is very on his forehand (large cob x) so I have changed the way I ride, no more lopping along on a long rein or riding with his head on the floor with a loose contact. I ensure he is moving forward at all times and I have total control. H also used to have toe clips. they do not help as they prevent the horse creating the natural rollover on the hoof. Between the clips being taken off and the more positive riding, he is a lot better.

Last edited:

hayinamanger

Visit site
Sorry if I'm repeating other's advice, not read all posts.

I would get the saddle checked, as an ill fitting saddle can cause tripping. Get a physio to see him. And put knee boots on him for roadwork.