Advice needed - Weeds

ISH_lover

Visit site
We will be moving into a new field soon but it is over-run with dockings. We are going to strim it down however I was wondering if there are any horse friendly weed killers about? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly

Visit site
We had new neighbours move into a field next door to us, who decided they would leave the land to nature. This done and in a short period of time when docks, thistles and every weed under creation went to seed, the wind blew them over to me. In 10 years having a strict weed regime I never had a weed on my land. NO NOT ONE, I walked the field daily and at the first sign of a weed, it was dug up. The fact that our neighbours (barr the new one) also worked a strict weed control, meant we were weed free.

Last year I was horrified to discover my land had harboured all those blown seeds over the winter and at the first sign of warm weather, they raised their wicked heads. I blinked and they were almost fully grown. Heartbreaking to see years of hard work, wiped out in one season of neighbour bad management.

Right, that was it. www.progreen.co.uk, stocks a weed killed named Headland Polo. It kills dead, all broadleaf weeds to include, Docks, Thistles, Dandelions' Stingers and Buttercups etc etc. Keep all livestock off the land for TWO WEEKS, if this is not possible, then spray half the field and then two weeks later the other half. If you intend to do it this way, ensure when you are spraying that NO over spray goes into/onto the adjoining paddocks or grazed land.

This is a herbicide, not an insecticide. It is quite expensive, but worth every penny as IT WORKS. You can spray like I do having an agricultural sprayer off the back of a tractor, or with a knapsack or hand held spray unit. Read the instructions for mixing carefully.

If you need advice the agents at www.progreen.co.uk will talk you through everything and answer every question you ask.

Hope this helps. Oh...Spray when weeds are GROWING.

ISH_lover

Visit site
We had new neighbours move into a field next door to us, who decided they would leave the land to nature. This done and in a short period of time when docks, thistles and every weed under creation went to seed, the wind blew them over to me. In 10 years having a strict weed regime I never had a weed on my land. NO NOT ONE, I walked the field daily and at the first sign of a weed, it was dug up. The fact that our neighbours (barr the new one) also worked a strict weed control, meant we were weed free.

Last year I was horrified to discover my land had harboured all those blown seeds over the winter and at the first sign of warm weather, they raised their wicked heads. I blinked and they were almost fully grown. Heartbreaking to see years of hard work, wiped out in one season of neighbour bad management.

Right, that was it. www.progreen.co.uk, stocks a weed killed named Headland Polo. It kills dead, all broadleaf weeds to include, Docks, Thistles, Dandelions' Stingers and Buttercups etc etc. Keep all livestock off the land for TWO WEEKS, if this is not possible, then spray half the field and then two weeks later the other half. If you intend to do it this way, ensure when you are spraying that NO over spray goes into/onto the adjoining paddocks or grazed land.

This is a herbicide, not an insecticide. It is quite expensive, but worth every penny as IT WORKS. You can spray like I do having an agricultural sprayer off the back of a tractor, or with a knapsack or hand held spray unit. Read the instructions for mixing carefully.

If you need advice the agents at www.progreen.co.uk will talk you through everything and answer every question you ask.

Hope this helps. Oh...Spray when weeds are GROWING.

Thank you for the suggestion, however i am unfortunately unable to keep my horse off of pasture and also the weeds are already fully grown. Thanks again though.

Honestly

Visit site
Okay, firstly this killer works on full grown plants, but as you are unable to keep the loivestock off the land, this is clearly no good. I cannot think of anything that will kill the weeds without harming the horsses, but someone may know of something.

If the docks have gone brown they are just about to blow and if you strim them, you will shake the seeds off and onto the ground, next year you will have tripple if not more than you have now.

Dock seeds can lay dormant in the ground for many years, unless ploughed in, thy are a nightmare. If you have that many and they have already turned brown you are hmmm stuffed, as it will be too hand to cut them by hand in order not to release the seed.

The only thing I can suggest, is as you say, strim them, but next year as soon as the little bleeders raise their heads, zap them with spray, before this lot turn to seed as well.

I feel for you.

ISH_lover

Visit site
Okay, firstly this killer works on full grown plants, but as you are unable to keep the loivestock off the land, this is clearly no good. I cannot think of anything that will kill the weeds without harming the horsses, but someone may know of something.

If the docks have gone brown they are just about to blow and if you strim them, you will shake the seeds off and onto the ground, next year you will have tripple if not more than you have now.

Dock seeds can lay dormant in the ground for many years, unless ploughed in, thy are a nightmare. If you have that many and they have already turned brown you are hmmm stuffed, as it will be too hand to cut them by hand in order not to release the seed.

The only thing I can suggest, is as you say, strim them, but next year as soon as the little bleeders raise their heads, zap them with spray, before this lot turn to seed as well.

I feel for you.

Thanks again, i think we are going to strim them ( its a friend thats doing them) and from then on said friend is just going to keep on top of them with the strimmer

Miss L Toe

Visit site
You'll need a brushcutter attachment for fully grown docken, I suggest you follow round and pick up all the weeds as the seeds will still be there. It is best to spray when weeds are 4 to 4 leaf stage, no point really at this time of year.
Dandelion are good for horse health btw.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
too late to spray full grown plants now. best course of action for the moment is to cut by hand, collect as you go, and make sure you spray either late autumn as they leaf up again, or early next spring. and you will need to spray every year for 3 years to control them as they are seeding now.

Tnavas

Visit site
Docks won't die once they are flowering - they have to be sprayed in the early growth stage.

One year I was not able to get at them in time - so we hired a blade strimmer - not the wire/string type and cut each one and placed its stalk in the wheelbarrow. Each was done like this until all the pasture was cleared. This at least got rid of the next generation of seeds.

When each dock was cut we painted a little neat weedkiller on the remaining stem - it seemed to work as there were very few the next year.

I'm currently keeping a beady eye on the docks in my new paddocks as we are heading slowly into spring and will zap them the moment they start growing.

It is really too late for you to spray them this year but cuting the heads off will at least work to prevent a new generation. Bag them up once cut and give them to the dustmen! Even burning doesn't stop them - they sprouted in the firepit despite being seriously toasted!

ISH_lover

Visit site
Thank you for all the advice, we are going to cut them now and when they start sprouting again hopefully spray them. Does anyone have any recommendations for a horse friendly weedkiller?

Echo Bravo

Visit site
I don't think there is a so called horse friendly weedkiller like there isn't one for cows or sheep. Spray in the early spring before you put the horses back on, or if you cann't do as some else said do the field 50/50.