Advice needed

equibabe20

Visit site
I need some advice regarding bits etc... I used to ride my boy in a Myler corectional ported with dee rings which he used to go realy well in, but then learnt how to grab hold of it and bugger off
frown.gif
I have now put him in a hanging cheek waterford as he has a hanging cheek french link for schooling and goes really well in.
My friend jumped him today and he is always rushing into jumps and taking off but in the waterford he didnt. She had much better control and better brakes. The only problem is because he can no longer rush he has decided he will just throw his head up and down instead. He does wear a running martingale, and has had teeth, back, saddle etc... checked in the last 4 months.
just wondered if any of you had any suggestions on what to try or how to stop the head shaking. He is very stubborn and likes to be in control so he'sobviously annoyed that he can't rush. Thanks Samx

JustKickOn

Visit site
use lots of 1/2 halts is what i'd say. the pony i ride called JJ runs at his fences, what i find calms him down on the first few fences (say if your at a show, in the practise ring, obv not in the ring as u can't cross your tracks, but when your going over the practise jump) is to circle him just before you get to the jump as soon as you feel him pull or put his head up. this works for me as normally the first couple of fences he will run at them and pull like a train, and then once he knows i mean business he stops and you have to give him loads of encouragement lol. and he still jumps clear!!

you were saying things to stop his head shaking?? i wouldn't stop the movement of his head and neck too much as he needs to strectch over the jump and to help him balance.

good luck, hope i've helped

Lizzie =] x