Advice Needed

gingerarab

Visit site
Hi I have 2 very old ponies who really should not go through another winter. I am begining to face the fact I will need to have them put down :( but I am really unsure of the best and most humane way to have them done. They will both need to be done at the same time, is it harsh to have one wait seeing and hearing what is going on ? Should I have them injected by the vet or get a knackerman out to shoot them ? I really dont think it would be fair to take them anywhere because neither of them have travelled for a long time, so I do think it needs to be done at home. Whats your advice ???

spacefaer

Visit site
It's a very hard decision but well done for making it. I've had to do it several times, thankfully, it has been made for me by the horses in question - there has been no doubt in my mind that it was the only option for them.... it's still **** at the time tho :/

You have various options - to be blunt, your choise also depends on your budget, it can be very expensive to put a horse down and dispose of the body - the cremation services are great - but I was quoted £700 for one horse......

We always use our local hunt who uses the static bolt (gun) to the forehead. The horse knows nothing about it and is dead instantly.

You can ask your vet to do it - they generally inject them. Your vet should also be able to give you some good advice about disposal too.

You have various options thereafter - we have a brilliant man locally who will take the body away.... or if they have the facilities, your local hunt may be able to take them. Ours can't as they couldn't afford the £30,000 to upgrade the facilities to confirm to EU rules.

Some Local Authorities will let you bury them on your own land - not a livery yard - it has to be private land and away from any watercourses. Check your local rules.

cptrayes

Visit site
I would always have ONE horse shot.

I would never have one horse shot in sight of the other if the other is to go too, I think it would know that it was next. If you have to have them both done together, then I would have them injected.

You are making the right decision, I hope it all goes as smoothly as it can for you.