Advice needed....

LR2904

Visit site
Strange thing happened yesterday the pony that my mare stayed with was sold and a friend of the new owners used to work with my mare when she was a foal. We knew she had an accident when she was younger but not the the extent of what we were told yesterday, at about 9 months old she got caught in a barb wire fence, the bone was exposed and they didnt think she'd make it. When they then sold her they told the new owner she was to be used only as a broodmare and not for riding, she was then sold again and broken in before i then bought her a year and a half ago. Looking for opinions on this as to whether you would continue to ride her or not, as she has had no issues with the leg when ridden for an hour or so and she lunges with no problems? Will call the vet out to check her out soon as well. But interested as to what you guys think....

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Why was she not to be ridden?

If you've been riding her for a year and a half and there haven't been any problems with lameness, her being unhappy etc, then if it was me, once the vet gave the all clear I would continue riding but keep an eye on her.

LR2904

Visit site
Apparently the leg is too weak and will be damaged more from the extra weight on her back.

I have so far had no problems, but she would maybe benefit from some supplements as her leg can be quite clicky and stiff at times.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Ask for details of the vet who treated the original injury then pass that information on to your vet and ask them to have a chat once vet seen your made currently.

heebiejeebies

Visit site
Only a vet can tell you this as we can't see the horse! I agree with the above poster who said to get details from the previous vet. Get her a full vet check and see what they have to say about it.