Advice needed

TJB

Visit site
What possible difficulties or could there be or not relating to a 15 year old horse that has been used as a broad mare and now being schooled and by all accounts doing really well. Have been told it’s really calm . Just wondered what experience horse people would have to say. Thank you

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If she has had a lot of foals she could be a bit weak and dipped in the back, that's all really, and might not be the case either. I've broken and ridden on a couple of my older broodmares, some went on to compete quite successfully. The oldest was 15 to start.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well if she’s spent the majority of her life being a broodmare then starting a ridden career at 15 seems wholly unfair. But might be ok for just pottering around.

If she’s only had one or two foals then a year of strengthening work done gently and sympathetically may enable her to have several years of being useful.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Well if she’s spent the majority of her life being a broodmare then starting a ridden career at 15 seems wholly unfair. But might be ok for just pottering around.

If she’s only had one or two foals then a year of strengthening work done gently and sympathetically may enable her to have several years of being useful.
My retired broodies thoroughly enjoyed going out to do interesting things. One of them was regional champion at Elementary a couple of years after leaving the breeding herd; she was broken in at 9.

conniegirl

Visit site
I know a broodmare who had 4 foals, then was broken, went to HOYS the year she was broken came 4th, then the next year to HOYS, RIHS and Olympia. Came second at HOYS and best of breed at Olympia.

Then retired to have another foal.

Laurac13

Visit site
I met an ex brood mare a few years ago at a showing show in the ring with me when she changed careers to a riding horse I can’t remember her age but she was very chilled and lovely

SEL

Visit site
I've got an ex broodmare with a dipped back and a likely pelvis issue. She did run with stallions though and the vets aren't sure if that contributed to the pelvis and a few other things.

Has regular bodyworker and was an interesting saddle fit but a happy hacker now.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I got a 12yo who had had six foals and she soon made a good sensible family pony who went doing showing and low level dressage.

Abacus

Visit site
I had a lovely cob mare who had done very little apart from have a few (not many) foals until she was 15. I spent about 9 months schooling her and she was outstanding - had a better brain than any youngster I’ve ever started, and clearly enjoyed working, she couldn’t try hard enough. I wouldn’t have said it would be unfair on her to take her as far as she was comfortable in a ridden career, any more than any other horse, bearing in mind her age. Physically she had no issues related to being a broodmare or in fact anything, tough as nails.

TJB

Visit site
Interesting replies that have given me a better understanding. Much appreciated. I will ask a few more questions in light of the advice.

Reactions: JBM

skint1

Visit site
I have an ex broodmare who allegedly also a did a bit of hunting in her youth between foals. She was schooled on by the people I bought her from. The two biggest issues I had (and have I guess) are random periods of fairly extreme separation anxiety/ attachment to other horses- the majority of the time she's easy as pie, but man when she is not, it's pretty scary and it doesn't really follow a predictable pattern though I personally think there's a possible link in some way to hormonal fluctuations- and she has had problems with back and hocks. Tbh, I don't bother trying to ride her now, I've done a lot of long lining, walking in hand, in hand poles, stretches etc to keep her back mobile . It's been very rewarding in many ways and certainly educational, but not at all straight forward, but I love her :)

JBM

Visit site
I get the impression she has only started her riding career Would that make a difference? Appreciate advice re the above
Only makes a difference in terms of how seasoned she is under saddle
If she’s only started work she will have the mentality of a baby in terms of work compared to maybe what you’re looking for
It’s a lot more for a horse to learn from scratch than just refresh them on what they knew a few years ago

millreef

Visit site
My horse was a brood mare when Ali bought her. She had been backed and hacked only. No schooling. She’s the best horse I have ever owned. Eager to learn and very genuine. I think it depends on the individual but I’m training her for dressage and she’s fabulous. Good luck with yours. I keep a video diary of her month by month to show her improvement.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Alot of Arab mares that are used for breeding are often backed late and they go on to have good ridden careers, I have known a few to do really well at ridden showing even qualify for Hoys.