Advice on 3 year old thoroughbred

claireannejames

Visit site
My daughter has bought a recently imported three year old TB just out of training (he hasn't raced). She is getting conflicting advice about what to do with him next. I had always read that young horses should be backed at 3 then turned away until 4 before starting ridden work and schooling. But others are telling her that since he is already under saddle and would have been in a routine in training that she should carry on with light ridden work this year. He is a big horse, already over 16hh. Lovely nature, very laid back. Quite ribby and no topline. Views please. **edit to add: he is so good tacking up, tying up, mounting, leading, baths, walking over tarp, just about everything she can think of to teach him on the ground, he seems to already know...

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You can turn him away or not turn him away, he will still grow and mature mentally and physically. If he was my only horse I would keep him in light work with a light rider and very little arena schooling.

If he has been in training he may take 3 or 4 months until he becomes deinstitutialised and you find out his true character.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The ex racehorses I helped with when I was younger were all turned away and 'let down' for a minimum of 6 months regardless of age. I mean out 24/7 too, they only came down to the yard for the farrier, dentist or vet. Some had a year of being let down if the horse needed it. They came off the lorry and went out in the field. It worked for that retrainer anyway, the horses went on to become super riding horses.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm sure it works to turn away, but I also know it's not strictly necessary. I never turned any of my ex racers (all 3 or 4 year olds) away and they all turned into nice all round horses that I sold to ordinary RC level riders. I wouldn't, though, do it without plenty of turnout and it's very possible that my quiet private yard helped a lot too.

tristar

Visit site
You can turn him away or not turn him away, he will still grow and mature mentally and physically. If he was my only horse I would keep him in light work with a light rider and very little arena schooling.

If he has been in training he may take 3 or 4 months until he becomes deinstitutialised and you find out his true character.

in his case i would do this, he sounds so nice and obliging keeping him lightly occupied may suit his character

Carrottom

Visit site
I would keep in light work with plenty of turnout for a few months to develop the relationship, then turn away for the worst of the winter and restart in the spring.

Izzwall

Visit site
I bought my lad straight from the trainer as a 3 year old. Agree with others saying keep him in light work and gradually turn him away. I rode my chap lightly out hacking for 6 weeks then turned him away. He wasn't used to turnout and by the time I stopped riding him he could then manage 9 hours out. I also took off his shoes which really helped him as his feet were not only awful but he kept injuring himself due to being young and clumsy. I then brought him back into work in the spring as a 4 year old, mainly just hacking. I then moved yards to 24/7 turnout from October last year and turned him away again. He's been back in work 3 weeks now as a 5 year old and he feels blooming fantastic! Much stronger and just loves his work. He's still barefoot too and has cracking feet. My chap is like yours too, very sweet and level headed and nothing has changed personality wise. He was fitted with a medium saddle when I got him and now he's in a wide!

[142807]

Visit site
My daughter has bought a recently imported three year old TB just out of training (he hasn't raced). She is getting conflicting advice about what to do with him next. I had always read that young horses should be backed at 3 then turned away until 4 before starting ridden work and schooling. But others are telling her that since he is already under saddle and would have been in a routine in training that she should carry on with light ridden work this year. He is a big horse, already over 16hh. Lovely nature, very laid back. Quite ribby and no topline. Views please. **edit to add: he is so good tacking up, tying up, mounting, leading, baths, walking over tarp, just about everything she can think of to teach him on the ground, he seems to already know...
A horses bone structure is not developed until around 6 years of age. Yes some horses are backed at 3 years of age and turned away but others especially the bigger breeds benefit from being backed at a later age. Different schools of thought however in my experience the older ones have been more able to cope with the backing process than the really immature ones. I own a rehabilitation centre.