Advice on a trailer

hicksy1982

New User
Visit site
Hi all. Newbie here.

I am soon to take ownership of an old trailer and the current owner (an old lady) could not provide me with the info I wanted.

Could someone help me with the below q's please?

* What would the year, make and model of this be?

* What would the approx weight be?

* Dimensions?

* I have a VW Passat 2.0 138BHP saloon. Would this be ok to the trailer when loaded? I do plan to buy a 4x4 in a few months

* Are motorised jockey wheels worth a purchase? I'm a bit nervous about reversing and parking the trailer lol

Thanks so much in advance

received_1398531223846914.jpeg
received_465922424554317.jpegreceived_275938497443751.jpeg

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
That's a Rice trailer - which haven't been made for several years. Someone much more knowledgeable than me will probably come along and be able to tell you which model but you can find the dimensions etc online (e.g. http://www.horsetrailersales.co.uk/RiceIndex.asp). They are big, heavy trailers and you'd need to check what the limits of your Passat are. Have you had the trailer checked by a mechanic? That floor looks lethal and what I can see of the ramp doesn't look much better - I wouldn't be taking a horse anywhere near that until it had been serviced and repaired. You're probably going to need a new set of tyres/get the brakes & electrics seen to as well - it's not going to be cheap to get that roadworthy! I've never seen anyone use a motorised jockey wheel with a trailer (maybe they're more common with caravans?). Even if your licence lets you tow the combined weight of your trailer plus horse without taking the test (ie you have a pre-1997 licence) I would invest in lessons to make sure you're confident and competent before taking a horse anywhere

9tails

Visit site
That looks like an old Rice trailer. Not good condition by the photos and I wouldn't put a horse on without having that floor replaced and a full overhaul of the wheels, tyres and brakes. Sometimes it's far better to cough up more and get a decent newer safer trailer.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Rice Europa c 1988.

Almost wondering if it could be my old Europa, which I bought new, as we put an extra front window in like that one seems to have :D. Mine had black mud guards, though.

ETA Re thought the weight, am now remembering 609kg.

The trailer pictured would need a fair bit of work to be ready and safe to tow a horse in it. Quite probably it would not be economic to refurb it.

It could take two 16hh lightweight horses when new, it's a small double trailer.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
1618403210391.png1618403219844.pngIt's a Rice Richardson, mine was around 1996 as I bought it as a year old in 1997. It weighs 650KG and my Vauxhall Insigna can tow one horse in it. The inside looks a bit different to yours OP, but it's had new floorboards made of hardwood that my Dad tongue and grooved on his lathe and he painted the inside and outside with yacht varnish and altered the configuration inside.

I believe your car has a kerb side weight of 1434KG but I'd ask a main dealer for clarification on that.

After seeing how much they were selling on the internet I increased the value without having to increase my premium from £300 to £800 but I still think its worth an awful lot more. Its because these days everyone is buying trailer to convert into gin wagons!

I love my trailer, my wonderful Dad put so much work into it over the years. I intend to keep it forever until it rots away to nothing in some corner of a field if is that's what happens. I won't ever let it go, too many precious memories. Maybe one day I will convert it into a 'gin wagon' and get a pitch somewhere :p

1618408716826.png

Last edited:

Dexter

Visit site
That's a Rice trailer - which haven't been made for several years. Someone much more knowledgeable than me will probably come along and be able to tell you which model but you can find the dimensions etc online (e.g. http://www.horsetrailersales.co.uk/RiceIndex.asp). They are big, heavy trailers

Why do people insist on saying this? I've refurbed so many of these now and they are light. I had one that was only 623kgs, but that was a pony one. Even the big doubles are usually lighter than the equivalent ifor.

Check the frame, replace the floor and have the brakes and running gear done, in service if you dont know what you're looking at, and it should be fine. They tow incredibly well and if they do get to the point where they are uneconomical to repair then give me a shout an I'll take it off your hands and turn it into a mobile bar/coffee shop etc. Lockdown has sent prices sky rocketing so I've not done one in a while.

Birker2020

Visit site
1618404040250.pngt1618404818557.png1618404828076.pngThe first photo showed what it was like prior to painting, Dad had sanded it down and rustproofed it, second photo Dad working inside it, he also replaced the panel on the right, new floor boards and new hessian and wood slats on the ramps. Third photo most recent photo, it has started to rust again, gather moss and the paint is all flaking off the back. O/H keeps swearing he will sort it for me but I have more chance of winning the pools tbh.

P.S the horse is obviously tied up on the off side part of the trailer but when he's just been loaded prior to going home I move the partition across as he likes looking out of the trailer while I go and pay for my parking. I would normally remove headcollar and lead rope if I walked away from the trailer but on this occasion I took a quick photo before removing headcollar and going to pay.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
Why do people insist on saying this? I've refurbed so many of these now and they are light. I had one that was only 623kgs, but that was a pony one. Even the big doubles are usually lighter than the equivalent ifor.

Check the frame, replace the floor and have the brakes and running gear done, in service if you dont know what you're looking at, and it should be fine. They tow incredibly well and if they do get to the point where they are uneconomical to repair then give me a shout an I'll take it off your hands and turn it into a mobile bar/coffee shop etc. Lockdown has sent prices sky rocketing so I've not done one in a while.
I know, people don't know what they are talking about, the Ifor Williams are twice the weight!

When I bought mine in 1999 I had a Ford Sierra Sapphire to tow mine with. I then progressed to a Peugeot 406, a Vauxhall Vectra and the last three four years my late fathers pride and joy Vauxhall Insignia. They are one of the lightest trailers on the market, we looked at Batesons, Pegasus and something else I can't remember what now, but this trailer was the lightest that we could buy at the time without having to have a Land Rover.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
By the time you’ve spent money on refurbishment you’ll be better of buying a new one.
If you have someone knowledgeable like my Dad, who had all the equipment at his disposal and time as he was retired you would be okay, although the marine ply and the hardwood was quite expensive, not to mention the hessian, and yacht paint :)

asmp

Visit site
And just for your info I had four new tyres put on my IFW trailer yesterday and it was over £200 (due to perishing)

Birker2020

Visit site
And just for your info I had four new tyres put on my IFW trailer yesterday and it was over £200 (due to perishing)
That's the trouble with trailers and lorries parked up, especially if the ground they are on isn't hard, but is mud. My trailer used to fair much better when it was parked between trailers as the wind at least kept most of the weather off it.

I am trying to remember to take it out about once a month as I had terrible troubles with it the year before last as the brake cables seized on it. The chap that dealt with it did an amazing job but even so, it was a lesson learnt.

hicksy1982

New User
Visit site
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. This was an interesting read.

The work has actually started on refurbing the trailer. The photos were pre this work. If it is not suitable for carrying horses I will convert it to a bar.

Birker2020

Visit site
That's not a bad price. We have a chap whose daughter used to be on our yard and he owns a tyre place so we get our car and trailer tyres relatively cheaply.

1618475176356.png Looks like they are around this price on the net.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
In my opinion you can't beat a Rice trailer. Pity they aren't around any more. I have had a Farmers Hunt, an Eventer (very light) and now not sure what. Slightly smaller than the Eventer. All have towed beautifully despite being ancient.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
If it were me I would sell this trailer as they are popular converted to wine bars etc and buy a road worth one!! Cost to do this one up is probably around the same as buying a roadworty one!

outinthefens88

Visit site
Had one identical (almost) to that on the farm here. It got banned from horse haulage a few years ago due to floor condition and was replaced on that task by a newer trailer. Long story short the old Rice died a death yesterday when without warning the axle sheared from the chassis whilst transporting some lightweight boxed goods to storage. Luckily it happened on the last mini roundabout of the journey and it could be pulled safely to the side of the road and recovered.

The verdict is out as to wheter it is worth repairing - we do have another set of axles that were cut off another Rice years ago when it was scrapped but with used decent used trailers not being overly expensive its probably more economical to buy another!