advice on breaking in weight/height worries

Visit site
Hello,
I have just bought a 12.2 dartmoor mare who is quite petite in build, to train as a trick pony. She is 5 years old and unbroken, so before i started this, i was planning on breaking her in. She is working fine in tack and long reining ect and is ready to be mounted but i am worried that i may be to heavy.
I am 15 and around 9st4, and 5ft6 ish. I have ridden my friends 12.2 pony alot, however she is quite alot thicker built than mine.
I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on whether you think it would be ok for me to sit on her a few times to break her in, or if i need to find a smaller and lighter jockey to do the job.
Any help would be appriciated :)
Thanks

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
I think you are fine tbh. I used to ride my neighbours 11.2 when I was 16 and 9.5 stone. You are fine for just sitting on him and doing light hacking :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Based on the fact you say she's petite, I would say too big for backing, when she won't already have the muscle. If she was an older ridden pony that size, or a 12.2 stocky type like an exmoor you'd be fine.

Emma1991

New User
Visit site
You could some lunging with side reins (don't make them tight!! Just enough to encourage the head to naturally drop so they start working through the back to engage the muscles). That'll build up the pony's muscle for you to start backing. You definitely shouldn't be too heavy, but the stronger the pony is the better it'll be for them with having never been sat on.

Pigeon

Visit site
Tbh I wouldn't, especially a baby. I feel too big on my sister's 15hh, and I weigh 9stone! I am a bit taller than you though, at 5'9.

hoggedmane

Visit site
I had a 12.2 welsh section b who was older and ridden and I would only let people under 8stone ride her. I would say you would be too heavy for her especially with an unbroken pony you need someone lighter. Also be careful what tricks you teach her. What is fun/ funny in one situation can be dangerous in another.

Emsarr

Visit site
I would say you'd be fine :D

You could some lunging with side reins (don't make them tight!! Just enough to encourage the head to naturally drop so they start working through the back to engage the muscles). That'll build up the pony's muscle for you to start backing. You definitely shouldn't be too heavy, but the stronger the pony is the better it'll be for them with having never been sat on.
Oh the irony!!:rolleyes:

Tabula Rasa

Visit site
My rising 2 filly is currently 12.3 and I wouldn't consider backing her myself if she were this height at 4.
They don't have the muscle first off so it would be best to use someone lighter to back her.

I am 5'5 and 9st 12 - 10st 2 (I fluctuate) and I have ridden 13h mature ponies who have the muscle to carry me just fine. Not that I ever feel comfortable with it though :/

If you do a lot of ground work to really build up her muscle you should be fine on her. But muscle and strength is a must or a lighter rider to build muscle under the saddle.

Tabula Rasa x