Advice on buying a youngster

Chalky’sMum

New User
Visit site
I’m wondering if I could get some advice on buying a young horse.
I currently own a 17 year old Appaloosa x and am thinking towards the future of once he has to slow down/be retired.
I have seen a 9 month old filly at the local rescue centre. She is Appaloosa and her mum is 14h, but unsure as to the sire - could be anything from 14h to 16h as the mare was running with a few stallions.
The yard I have my horse at doesn’t have facilities for foals or anything under 2/3 Years old so it has been suggested to me to put her to a stud farm for a couple of years?
Also, can anyone tell me what appy youngsters are like, good to train or no etc?

Orangehorse

Visit site
I can't tell you what they are like, but since you already have a part-bred you should have a bit of an idea what they are like temperament wise. In my experience American breeds are often fairly co-operative, unless the individual horse has had a bad experience, but I suppose at 9 months old it shouldn't be too bad.

I think finding accommodation for it might be more of an issue. If you are lucky you might find a stud that could care for it, but the sort of place that you would want where they would get some handling, foot care, grooming, being tied up, led around, etc. to make them civilized will want to charge for that. Often people with a youngster try and find someone else in the same situation and turn them out together, but they don't have that "herd" teaching then and they might get over fond of one other horse. Of course in the latter case you would be the one doing all the teaching and handling, which is part of the fun of course.

I think it is a good thing to take a youngster out and about a bit, not too much. Like going to some in hand shows, just show them life. When mine was young I found a field where there was a lot of traffic going past and a railway line at the end!

Shay

Visit site
Where would the rescue center want her kept? There is no point making loads of plans if they then decline to place her because they are not happy. I would start with them and work with what they want.

ihatework

Visit site
For what it would cost you in 3 years stud livery, I would say you will be much better placed putting that money into a separate account and using it to buy a nice 3/4yo when the time comes. You will have a better idea on size/type/temprement by then.

Orangehorse

Visit site
For what it would cost you in 3 years stud livery, I would say you will be much better placed putting that money into a separate account and using it to buy a nice 3/4yo when the time comes. You will have a better idea on size/type/temprement by then.

That is absolutely true and something to be borne in mind. But when you have a young horse, it is very nice to be able to get on your oldie and ride a horse that understands your aids and shouldn't do anything unexpected so you wouldn't want to leave it until you can't ride your old horse at all.

Chalky’sMum

New User
Visit site
The centre are not specific to where she is kept, it would be a case of when I find somewhere they will come out to assess it as to whether they reckon it’s good enough.

Chalky’sMum

New User
Visit site
Thank you all, these are all valid points and it’s all good food for thought.
The centre have said they’ll be in touch if anyone else becomes interested and I won’t be taking her on if I can’t provide the right home for and her and the right circumstance for me.

Chalky’sMum

New User
Visit site
IME?
The horse is up for being rehomed, she is not for sale but there is a fee to pay for her - to keep the charity going and to enable them to continue their good work.
Sorry you felt the need to be pedantic about my wording and missed the point completely - but your input is greatly appreciated