Advice on equipment?

Nakita

Visit site
My mare is not supple at all and on her forehand; she is very reluctant to bend, or work properly at all! She has always been this way and I have always tbh just accepted she was "set in her ways" as I got her when she was eleven. However I have started to up her work load to get her fit for the summer and I would really love for her to develop muscle and work properly. I have a smaller school than I have had previously and riding her in it is just uncomfortable because she is so stiff.
I know there are no quick fixes but is their any equipment I can use to encourage her to work properly?

Ps. There is no medical issues affecting her willingness to bend etc.

Thank you
smile.gif

Sal_E

Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't use 'equipment' at this stage - you're risking making her uncomfortable, sore & potentially teaching her further evasion tactics. You'd be better slowly introducing work which allows her to soften for progressively longer, always within the confines of her fitness. Initially, I'd work on lots of transitions, circles, loops, inside & outside flexion, simple lateral work etc etc - so basic schooling sessions that will encourage her to bend & loosen up. She should improve as you do more - it may be worth getting an instructor in initially to help you with your position as you could find that she is bringing out the worst in you if she's difficult, which causes vicious circle...

Nakita

Visit site
Thank you.
See I thought that may be the case, however I thought something like a pessoa could be adjusted and so not force them into positions but encourage them to use the correct muscles? Sorry if I'm just talking utter rubbish!
I am going to try and find a good local instructer because I know she brings out the worst in me - I end up concentrating so hard trying to get some response from her - god knows what my position is like!
When riding in a cricle what should I be doing with my reins, legs etc to encourage her to bend?
& also how do I encourage her to get off her forehand?

Excuse the stupid questions - just don't want to confuse her ... or me! Lol.

Thank you!

Sal_E

Visit site
To be fair, you're right that the pessoa encourages rather than forces, however lunging on a circle in any sort of outline is going to tire her very very quickly if she's not used to it - think of a couch potato going to a gym class... I would say it's something to bare in mind though, once you've got her a bit up & running - even if it's only 10 mins of lunging to start with...

Re on the forehand, it's mainly about working from behind - once the back end is more engaged it will lighten the front end. Initially, I'd think lots & lots of transitions would help as it encourages engagement - try to get downwards transitions from your seat more than your hand though as otherwise you'll hollow her which defeats the object - you can use your voice as well to back up your seat.

Re circles, you need to 'play' with your reins to see what best works for her. Ideally, try opening the inside rein as you would on a youngster, to help encourage & explain. Resist the temptation to cross your hand (& rein) over her withers. Obviously a firm inside leg on the girth is needed to push her round. You can pop in a bit of a small circle to help 'get her round' but don't do too many for fitness reasons. If she's falling out, you'll need a firmer outside rein & outside leg further back. Make sure you're looking the way you want her to go - move your head, shoulders & hips, but don't get too ahead of her or bend yourself too much (& don't tip in - make sure you sit tall as you bend).

Don't forget you can gently tap with a schooling whip to back up your aids depending on the problem - so on the inside to move her away from the inside leg or on the outside to stop her falling out so much.

Hard to give advice without knowing what the problems are, but an instructor should really be able to help you. If you can rope someone in to video your lesson, that would be even more helpful...

Nakita

Visit site
Thanks very much Sal_E I will try and put your advice into action tomorrow ... doubt Rosie is going to be too impressed!
I have been lunging her and doing light hacking with lots of hill work to get her fitness up before I even attempted the school but it was just much worse than I expected and because there are no local freelance instructors I know of that are good and I don't have transport lessons haven't been an option. Hope I can find one though because I think that is the only way we can really improve ...