Advice on first outing?!

PeckhamSpring

Visit site
Hi guys!
So, I'm off with my 4yo Irish Hunter (temperamental mare!) - to our first in hand and ridden show this weekend.

We hunted all last season and was very confident together. 👍

In the winter I was horrifically bronced off by another hunter (not one of mine) and broke my leg, having lost the confidence I had only just found! 👎

Anyway, my mare had the winter off as she was young and my leg was in cast, she was brought back in to work about a month and a half ago, we are schooling nicely etc, and learning to go in an outline. All is going well!

However, I still have a constant confidence issue of 'what ifs'. I'm excited to be going to our first show, but also nervous. 😟

Example, 'what if' my leg gives way (which it occasionally does) when I'm running?

Or what if she gets over excited and decks me in the ridden?

Any tips on how to calm myself down? Minus alcohol?! 😋
I am expecting some silly behaviour from her as she's young and it's her first show, but perhaps I'm a touch 'too' worried?

Any help is appreciated!

PeckhamSpring

Visit site
Can't quote your post as I'm on my phone.
I would usually do that however as it was another horse that broke my leg I stick to my own horses now to prevent the situation reoccurring :( x

hnmisty

Visit site
Why not see how things go in the in-hand class before you enter the ridden? (Or even how she is once she arrives at the show ground). If you don't feel comfortable with her behaviour, then don't force yourself to enter anything. After all, it's meant to be fun :)

Some of my friends swear by rescue remedy. I like to remind myself that I have a very overactive imagination :p

PeckhamSpring

Visit site
I have already thought about that one, we are only doing the ridden if she behaves and does well, she may comoletely flip in the in hand and then we shan't push her :)!

I'm just unsure of ways to keep her calm and happy whilst we are there! And also how to calm myself! Haha x

laurapru

Visit site
Hiya,
I get myself all in a tizzy too! lol!
I try to break the whole process into smaller chunks and think of things that could wrong, and what i am going to do to make sure they don;t happen that way I am prepared for every situation. Try and relax and enjoy yourself......but a few drops of rescue remedy will take the edge off! Good Luck

PeckhamSpring

Visit site
Thank you all for your help! Will let you know how the day goes!
5 days to go and counting!
Ps- what is this rescue remedy everyone is talking about?! X

SillyMare

Visit site
For a first outing, maybe focus on in hand only and see if you can enter 3 or 4 little classes (there are usually 'prettiest mare', 'best condition' type things that she would be eligible for as well as her main class).

Set yourself a simple objective that you can achieve / over achieve on (no major disasters, leading her yourself in the ring at least once). A ridden class is a great target for another day (but take your tack - there may be a nice big car park you can hack her around after her classes).

If things are going well, don't be rempted to push your luck too far - important to finish on a high. Make sure you celebrate little successes and dwell on the positives on your way home!

Maybe ask an experienced friend to handle her when you first arrive and in the first class too. If you are going to see a bit of an explosion, that would probably be it. If all goes well, take over handling yourself before the second class.

Good luck and enjoy it!